Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Greedy parts suppliers.

Old 13-02-15, 07:55 PM   #21
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
I think the 'elephant in the room' is Audi Gmbh's approach to its heritage. TBH.
Well said. These little clips should cost £1.00 at the most today.Blimmey i used to buy tools by the thousands and get them at very low unit prices.If i were ordering those clips 30 years ago i would be buying them in at 5p each.I used to be a tools buyer for a while.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 11:20 AM   #22
Steve
Grown up member

Try these. I've just used them for the indicators and they were very good.

http://p-arts.ch/index.php?k=7&lang=eng
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 11:28 AM   #23
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedAudi View Post
If he's producing these in small volume, then the price is not unreasonable.

I have some of these new and unused (bought for future projects before they became hard to get), and I would want more than a fiver a piece to sell them........

You can't be expecting to pay 1980's prices for stuff remade in 2015 after all.....
Sorry I disagree.
Just because somethings hard to get I dont see how its price can be 10X higher, all its down to is people trying to scam a profit off of a captive audience and it stinks!
Checking the part numbers reveals although theyre NLA, $2.90 a shot was the last price from various sources.

I occasionally produce stainless brake shields that A) Dont rust away and B) cost no more than the price Audi charged for them some time ago, despite the level of investment and time I put into making them possible, but then im not trying to profiteer off my fellow enthusiasts, unlike some because I actually give a damn about these cars and want to see them on the road more.
So I disagree, the price of 26 quid for 4 piffling plastic clips is entirely UN-effing-reasonable and I wont pay it.
Like I said, Im sure I can sort out some production method and give them away to circumvent such practices as ripping us off.

Its high time we took a stand against this sort of ripping off.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 11:29 AM   #24
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Try these. I've just used them for the indicators and they were very good.

http://p-arts.ch/index.php?k=7&lang=eng
Its where Ill get mine from Steve.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 11:50 AM   #25
Steve
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Its where Ill get mine from Steve.
I've just copied this from my thread on here......

'I have used the above link and have to say, it was very straightforward. Also noting that the prices were cheaper than e-bay, the service was fast and everything came very well packaged all the way from Switzerland. I even bought a few other hard to get bits while I was shopping.

Just one note, use the Paypal option as your bank will rip you off with the money transfer charges!'
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 06:09 PM   #26
slammedAudi
Grown up member

Based on my experience of getting small items made by a 3D printing house, for the size of part that it is, the price is not unreasonable......

As regards not making a profit on stuff that you decide to remake, thats entirely your own business.

I challenge you to remake that particular item and make it widely available for £1 each. If you can, I will happily buy some from you.

As regards my own "stock", I bought a load of small bits and pieces from Audi 10-15 years ago. Thousands of various small parts... Bought for 2 reasons....

1. Good patterns for remakes
2. My own projects

I wouldn't sell any of this stuff as I will need it myself at some point in the future. or I will remake a batch of copies. If I ever decide to give up on projects, then it'll be up for sale .... But not at a pound

Quote:
Sorry I disagree.
Just because somethings hard to get I dont see how its price can be 10X higher, all its down to is people trying to scam a profit off of a captive audience and it stinks!
Checking the part numbers reveals although theyre NLA, $2.90 a shot was the last price from various sources.

I occasionally produce stainless brake shields that A) Dont rust away and B) cost no more than the price Audi charged for them some time ago, despite the level of investment and time I put into making them possible, but then im not trying to profiteer off my fellow enthusiasts, unlike some because I actually give a damn about these cars and want to see them on the road more.
So I disagree, the price of 26 quid for 4 piffling plastic clips is entirely UN-effing-reasonable and I wont pay it.
Like I said, Im sure I can sort out some production method and give them away to circumvent such practices as ripping us off.

Its high time we took a stand against this sort of ripping off.
slammedAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-15, 06:29 PM   #27
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Given that Audi are currently producing a part and selling it at something like 7x kits previous price, we are all left with the inevitable situation-

Buy, or don't buy.

If the part is not available from the manufacturer, but you need it, what will you do? Not buy it from another source on principal, and wait for it to be made by someone else?

Many of these little parts are all items that I need, also. My car is currently stored, as I'm simply too busy to tackle what are basically trim items, but which directly affect the security of the other components.
If someone produces them at a different price, then great The competition may help set the price at a more favourable level. But the fact that one person has taken the step to make a part that audi cannot be arsed to provide, but which is needed, should be applauded.

If the price is unpalatable, why not make an offer, and see what the result is?
Old 14-02-15, 10:39 PM   #28
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

There's plenty of people 3d printing stuff cheap now , I've got stuff here that's not been offered for sale .... I'd be more inclined to get stressed about stuff that's critical to keep a car running that silly stickers and plastic .... The main bug bear with 3d printing is while this resembles the shape exactly the textures/ finish are left wanting from an aesthetic point of view
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 11:25 AM   #29
Jsws3
Grown up member

Quote:
Heres the part, heres the price and heres who to avoid for one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-ur-qu...item463262eb35

The other advert is here, should change their username to "Powered by Avarice".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-coupe...item46339bd00f

I know this chap he ownes a urquattro 20v and its his friend that makes these clips for him using a 3d printer.

However they do fit well but for the sake of £10 I would not want to spoil the look of the rear window trims .
Jsws3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 01:56 PM   #30
audicoupeparts
Classic Audi Club Member

I may have some clips knocking around somewhere Tony if you still need them
I've loads of window trims with them still on.
audicoupeparts is offline   Reply With Quote