Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Interesting comparison the last day.

Old 16-11-13, 07:11 PM   #1
bigkeeko
Grown up member

Default Interesting comparison the last day.

For those interested I`ve been hankering after a practical V8 daily driver for the last couple of weeks since selling my runaround. My garage car and sunday driver is and has been for the last year nearly a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. 5.7L small block V8 with 6 speed manual box.

Now I`m keen on classic Audis but also have a fondness for big power Audis. I noticed the last day that a red 2004 S4 Avant has been advertised on 50 miles from me in apparently `fantastic` condition. I went and saw it. This exact car below..

The car was as described and asides from the normal slight stone chipping and tiny wear marks from use it was spot on. I`m now thinking here`s a 344hp estate car that is not only decent looking but immensely practical with a V8 sound track AND a manual 6 speed gearbox. The interior was stunning. Seriously. Immaculate and with it being a two owner car with a full history I thought there`s a chance I`m going to end up doing something impulsive here. The salesman ( I know, dealer :silent: ) was spot on and gave me the keys and let me go about whatever I wanted uninterupted. Started first time having sat a week. Not a rattle , knock or anything with that nice understated V8 note from the rear twins and it settled and idled nice. By now, I`m looking for fault as I don`t like it when things appear too good but looking through the service book just added to the sale. "Take it a run" he says, take your time".
So here I am with a more modern quality German V8 car that, lets be honest and pull no punches here, in terms of build quality is head and shoulders above my 4th gen General Motors `muscle` car. I remember reading a review a while back about the 4th gen Z28 and how it was a superb motor planted in a `creaky bath tub with a woefully inadequate interior`. Not really fair to compare it to a £38,000 German super estate but even opening the door on the S4 was a different affair. Ar$e in recaro driver seat, adjusted mirrors and off I went. Now bear in mind I had driven my old `1999` American `vauxhall` only a day before with my scabby pushrod motor with 16 valves, which incidentally is TWENTY FOUR less than the S4 so I was expecting this Audi to feel like it could trade punches with the Z28.
Lovely car to drive. Smooth, quiet, sumptuous interior and has all the modern gadgets on display on the lovely red lit dash. I did give a bit of welly a couple of times on the dual and on a nice A road. A few people kinda moved over and there was a few `looks`. Not really sure what they were thinking but they were looking anyway.
On return I gave the saleman my verdict. I genuinely couldn`t fault the car. Straight as a die and honest as hell. No paintwork, no filler, no oil leaks, no issues.
I really was working out earlier how I was going to leave a deposit or would I come back up if I was going to take it. My fear was that I would like it too much and it would cloud my UR dream.
I didn`t buy it. Reason? This, I swear is the truth. The Camaro as outclassed as it is in every other department would absolutely pull that things pants down and smack it`s ar$e in a drag race. Absolutely NO comparison in terms of putting a big stupid grin on your face with a small block Chevy V8. For a car with the same power the Z28 delivers it in a totally different manner, in 3rd and 4th gear on full throttle there`s an element of fear that isn`t present with the Audi. The S4 is way slower, less exciting and sluggish compared to the Z and I suppose if you`re going to buy a car to drive daily with a big power V8 it`s pointless getting one that `pales in comparison` to the old girl in the garage with the plastic wings. I`d be as well (somebody punch me) buying a diesel.

By the way. I think there`s someone interested in taking the Z28 away for a pile of cash so hopefully I`ll be back to the four rings for round 4 (or 5) pretty soon. I`ve seen something I really like and will post the link up later.

Last edited by bigkeeko; 16-11-13 at 07:13 PM.
bigkeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-13, 08:30 PM   #2
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

get back and buy that s4!! the guy who owned it stays five minutes' drive from me and always kept it spotless. we used to admire that beast driving about the town - never once saw him blast it. i am sure that he had it advertised on pistonheads or autotrader for several weeks - i think he was looking for around £6500 for it at the time.

very nice indeed . . . .

Old 16-11-13, 09:01 PM   #3
Eddy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Im still thinking about a b6 s4 but a saloon, never driven one tho,
Really nice looking mota
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-13, 10:20 PM   #4
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

is this a B6? if so, then i'm sure that my friend pete will give you a shot of his the next meet we get organised . .

Old 16-11-13, 10:31 PM   #5
Eddy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thats the one,
Aye geaza shot big yun
Old 16-11-13, 10:34 PM   #6
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

shall we just say that it goes like shyyyyyte off of a shovel, eduardo!!

Old 16-11-13, 10:46 PM   #7
Eddy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Need to start thinking about another meet soon then Craig
Old 16-11-13, 11:17 PM   #8
bigkeeko
Grown up member

Right Craig, so you kinda `half know the car?

I`ll be honest I was close to splashing the cash but there was something `missing`. You know how when you sit in something then drive it you kinda `know`? Well, it was like it just didn`t float my boat. I`ve looked at them for ages and always thought that it was a great combination of practicality and power but I felt `underwhelmed`. Shame really.
By they way, power isn`t everything. How a car makes you feel and how good you feel in it is half the battle.
bigkeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-13, 11:31 PM   #9
Eddy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I know what you mean with some cars,
We had a Mazda Mx5 Mk1, I bought it with the impression of getting a fun little sports car, well I was wrong after having it for a while, the only time it was "fun" was driving it like I had nicked it, the rest of the time it was boring, no soul or sense of "driving pleasure"
But I think it depends on your expectations.

The cq is a totally different tho, she's enjoyable to drive ALL of the time,
Old 17-11-13, 05:39 AM   #10
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkeeko View Post
How a car makes you feel and how good you feel in it is half the battle.
that's so true and this old beast is a prime example . .