Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Ur S6 lower dash panel

Old 03-06-10, 09:00 PM   #11
urS6
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martc View Post
Got home tonight and within less than a minute later the panel is out!!!!
Digital cameras and the Internet cannot be beaten for this sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martc View Post
Well looks like the master cylinder has sheered in the usual spot. So looks like a fun Saturday doing the master and slave.... joy!
I shouldn't tempt fate, but I've never gone through a slave cylinder. I think I have one or two spares in the garage - unused. Because they're awkward to fit, and don't seem to suffer too much strain, I've waited for them to fail and they haven't.

On the other hand, I've replaced about 8 master cylinders in various Audis over the last 20 years.
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 08:02 AM   #12
Martc
Black Coupe Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urS6 View Post
Digital cameras and the Internet cannot be beaten for this sort of thing.

I shouldn't tempt fate, but I've never gone through a slave cylinder. I think I have one or two spares in the garage - unused. Because they're awkward to fit, and don't seem to suffer too much strain, I've waited for them to fail and they haven't.

On the other hand, I've replaced about 8 master cylinders in various Audis over the last 20 years.
Absolutely agree pictures paint a thousand words, I normally don't ask tech questions as I am pretty self reliant on finding things if they are out there. I spent about 3 hours looking to no avail.

Did the master on the CQ about 5 years ago, bought a slave a precaution just in case....

Anyway the slave went two days later, luckily overnight in the garage. So then I had the joy of getting it out.

So will do the same here just in case the same occurs
Old 04-06-10, 04:02 PM   #13
urS6
Grown up member

Let me know how easy (or difficult) the slave is to replace - maybe I should do mine?
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 11:23 AM   #14
Martc
Black Coupe Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urS6 View Post
Let me know how easy (or difficult) the slave is to replace - maybe I should do mine?
Master cylinder was actually very easy once the trim was down, found a good procedure on the web to remove and ended up with very only a few drops of fluid in the cabin and no mess Total time for that job was under the hour, the trim was more a pain than removing and getting the new cylinder in place and then putting it back. I also stopped to clear all of the leaves built up in the upper and lower blower ducts while I was there, which again took way longer than the rest of the job...! Thanks again for pointing out the secret bolt!

Now the slave cylinder, didn't take long to remove (one bolt from the transmission and the hardline), it appears someone had a go at the hardline before as the nut was a little rounded off , so I could not get a spanner on there easily in the space with the slave attached (the hardline was on there kin tight). So I removed the securing bolt out and took out the slave with the hardline attached and was able to remove the hardline with more space to get a decent access to the fitting. Much easier as the hardline turns into a flexi, so you can move the slave around to get better access.

Now getting the new slave in there. There is a procedure for setting the slave cylinder in the inwards position using a 12mm cap fitting to seal off slave cylinder by creating a vacuum so you can fit the slave easily. Unfortunately that weekend my neighbour who has the bits to do this was away.....

As the car was on the ground you have to go in from the top of the car, by leaning over the top of the engine. This means you have to pull the slave into the bell housing by strength and then get it lined up and get the bolt in which is quite hard to do. I could get the slave inside the bell housing but the bracket to support the hardline was fouling things up a bit and not letting the bolt go in there properly. So after messing about a bit with some lubrication still no success after many tries, I decided to remove the hardline support bracket and see what would happen and the slave went straight in and I could get the bolt in...... As I had limited time to ge the car back on the road I have taken the risk to run it temporarily in this way.

Got the system bled, did it twice as the pedal did not come back the first time then on the second try it came back with a resaonable pedal which got even better after a quick test drive, so normal service resumed...!

So at the moment its running without the hardline supporting bracket, which will get sorted out soon as I am not a fan of leaving things off. I'll also get a new fitting on the hardline as I am a bit fussy like that.
Old 11-06-10, 11:33 AM   #15
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorry about yesterday Luvy, Next time your about I shall try to be in

Nige

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 11:41 AM   #16
Martc
Black Coupe Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Conniford View Post
Sorry about yesterday Luvy, Next time your about I shall try to be in

Nige
No worries, I was actually about on Wednesday....
Old 11-06-10, 12:14 PM   #17
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Opps well that will teach me to turn the phone on

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 12:19 PM   #18
Martc
Black Coupe Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Conniford View Post
Opps well that will teach me to turn the phone on
No worries sausage...