Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » calling all body kit fitting experts - the quattro kit

Old 02-05-14, 02:37 PM   #11
MSL
Grown up member

Good grief......
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 04:37 PM   #12
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

I don't think so, not even if your regularly throwing it down a forest stage and rebuilding it every weekend.
Old 02-05-14, 05:33 PM   #13
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

First corner ....sharp left ......car takes the corner well ......body kit and roof carry on dead ahead
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 07:38 PM   #14
McLarenboy
Grown up member

I'm hearing two things and really would love to hear which would be the best solution for a novice like myself.

Method 1 involves using a flexible epoxy adhesive to mate the fibreglass to the metal and also blend the part into the car. After that using a flexible putty, flexable primer and paint. This way it should be possible for the bodywork to expand in warm temperatures and reduce the chances of cracks appearing.

Method 2 is people saying that it really doesn't matter all that much to use special flexible products, simply grind the metal down > put resin on > resin soaked fibreglassmat > fibreglass part > resin soaked fibreglassmat on top of the edges trying to get the endresult as good as possible and finishing off with as little bodyfiller as possible. Using the least amount of bodyfiller as possible will result in a finished product which will never crack.

Which of these two methods carries the most truth - and which would be best for a novice
McLarenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 11:45 PM   #15
styler
Classic Audi Club Member

i think the key word is novice..... its the kind of job you should get help with.... thats the rub with bodywork... if its done right no one notices.... if its bad everyone notices...

get 'er done...
styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 06:57 PM   #16
McLarenboy
Grown up member

I've decided to do it myself - when i got the same work done on my current daily driver i was there for the whole preperation. If i lended a hand this reduced the price of the work and based from what i've now been told by experienced craftsman everything was ok up to the point of finishing off the bodywork.

The key is to use very little bondo, and aslong as you keep that in mind the cracks will never have a chance of appearing.
The cheapest way to do this job is by fixing the panels on roughly and then slab on some bondo to smooth everything out. And this day in age a lot of people are willing to cut corners in order to stay alive. This week where i work it was proven that one of our long time suppliers (+10 years) sent us an invoice for a job elsewhere of which he only carried out 10%. You cannot imagine how gutwrenching that feeling is when total on the invoice is at the +10 000 pound mark.

For this bodywork it's for me just too expensive to have all this work done by someone and then a year after have the cracks starting to appear.

Last edited by McLarenboy; 08-05-14 at 07:00 PM.
McLarenboy is offline   Reply With Quote