Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » To sell or not to sell, that is the question.

Old 13-04-22, 08:50 AM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default To sell or not to sell, that is the question.

Folks!

Some of you may remember me mentioning a few years ago my mate who has a 2018 BMW 420 M Sport and was thinking about changing the colour of its red interior?

Well, he still has the car and loves it. It's covered barely 10k and he's spared no expense caring for it. It is a lovely looking beast, I must say...

His intention was to keep it for as long as he could physically drive, well beyond retirement age (he's 54). No real interest in buying another car unless circumstances forced him to.

Anyway, now, with all the proposed changes afoot, such as new ICE cars being banned from 2030, he is a bit spooked and is wondering whether he should sell it.

He is worried that there won't be petrol or parts easily available beyond 2030 and he may be stuck with a car he can't use. Maybe it would be better to sell now, while values are high and replace it with something cheaper that he won't break his heart having to dispose of later on? He hates Evs BTW.

I don't know what to say to him as there are so many changes ahead of us, who knows what things will look like by 2030 or after. I just know he loves the car. It's his only vice and once retired he will have to watch the pennies.

Personally, I'd want to keep something I enjoyed that much, but I understand his worries about what he may face when retired.

Any opinions?
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-22, 09:07 AM   #2
Baggee
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Folks!

Some of you may remember me mentioning a few years ago my mate who has a 2018 BMW 420 M Sport and was thinking about changing the colour of its red interior?

Well, he still has the car and loves it. It's covered barely 10k and he's spared no expense caring for it. It is a lovely looking beast, I must say...

His intention was to keep it for as long as he could physically drive, well beyond retirement age (he's 54). No real interest in buying another car unless circumstances forced him to.

Anyway, now, with all the proposed changes afoot, such as new ICE cars being banned from 2030, he is a bit spooked and is wondering whether he should sell it.

He is worried that there won't be petrol or parts easily available beyond 2030 and he may be stuck with a car he can't use. Maybe it would be better to sell now, while values are high and replace it with something cheaper that he won't break his heart having to dispose of later on? He hates Evs BTW.

I don't know what to say to him as there are so many changes ahead of us, who knows what things will look like by 2030 or after. I just know he loves the car. It's his only vice and once retired he will have to watch the pennies.

Personally, I'd want to keep something I enjoyed that much, but I understand his worries about what he may face when retired.

Any opinions?
You have to look at the long term. Petrol won't stop being produced overnight. Maybe in our life it will be harder to source? Car parts will still be avaialable for many years. I work in the Electronics Automotive industry. We make OEM Braking/ Steering and Engine Management Systems, for BMW, Merc, Volvo, Renault, Nissan, etc. Even when a model becomes obsolete, you are contracted to provide a minimum of 10 years worth of spares.
Potentionally there will be hundreds of thousand of classic cars that will become ''scrap'' but myself I don't believe this will happen. We, as classic car owners spend hundreds of millions of pounds which is always good for any Gov.
I know a guy who has now changed tact from restoring MG's to converting them to electric . He has a thriving business. I have seen E Types and a Ferrari 308 GTB now electric. Also a genuine 1960's Minin Cooper S. Very sad IMO and where's the fun in that?
Old 13-04-22, 09:23 AM   #3
Obli
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggee View Post
I know a guy who has now changed tact from restoring MG's to converting them to electric . He has a thriving business. I have seen E Types and a Ferrari 308 GTB now electric. Also a genuine 1960's Minin Cooper S. Very sad IMO and where's the fun in that?
Good God, what's the matter with people?
What a horrible thing to do to a classic car.

I can see people storing huge tanks of petrol if it starts to become scarce. I'd consider it.

They'll neve take me alive!!
Obli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-22, 09:38 AM   #4
Baggee
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obli View Post
Good God, what's the matter with people?
What a horrible thing to do to a classic car.

I can see people storing huge tanks of petrol if it starts to become scarce. I'd consider it.

They'll neve take me alive!!
There's obviously a growing market out there and people are scared. Can you imagine not hearing that lovely 5 pot sound but the dead sound of electric motors
Old 13-04-22, 09:49 AM   #5
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

>>They'll neve take me alive!!

Probably true if you store 500 gallons of four star at home!
Old 13-04-22, 05:59 PM   #6
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for the opinions...

I hope to have a pint with him over the Easter break, so I will try and get him to stop thinking so much and take more time before making any rash decision ...

Let's face it, while we're all worrying about renewable energy a character like Putin can come along and turn our lights out with the press of a button....
Old 13-04-22, 06:20 PM   #7
Baggee
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Thanks for the opinions...

I hope to have a pint with him over the Easter break, so I will try and get him to stop thinking so much and take more time before making any rash decision ...

Let's face it, while we're all worrying about renewable energy a character like Putin can come along and turn our lights out with the press of a button....
If he does decide to sell it, when fuels still around in 20 yrs time he'll regret it. You got to convince him not to think so negatively.
Old 14-04-22, 05:46 PM   #8
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggee View Post
If he does decide to sell it, when fuels still around in 20 yrs time he'll regret it. You got to convince him not to think so negatively.
I will do my best. I didn't ask what his other half thinks. Maybe I could recruit her...
Old 18-04-22, 09:38 AM   #9
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Had a chat with my mate and I think I've managed to put him off making any decisions for now, although I'm not entirely sure the subject won't rear its head again.. Said he would give it more time. His missus made no contribution to the topic, so I had no ally.

Mentioning opinions from this forum did help though. Thanks chaps.

BTW, where has the long weekend gone?