Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » First start and run in 20v 7A after rebuild

Old 09-05-17, 08:04 PM   #11
audisport8680
Grown up member

Did you manage to use origional airbox on this? I have the same set up but a cone filter, still lumpy at idle, but when you open up it is brilliant.
audisport8680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 08:07 PM   #12
audisport8680
Grown up member

also still have the problem of coolant not flowing through the expansion tank, all the other pipes are hot after 10 minutes pop the cap off and water is still cold in the tank and no pressure??
Old 09-05-17, 09:10 PM   #13
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi audisport8680, Yes I also fitted a cone filter but my idle is very smooth, as for your coolant problem as water heats up is expands and you have pressure in your sealed system, if you don't have any pressure you may ave a leak or other problems, just had a thought, your expansion tank cap, if it was faulty you would not have a leak and you would have no pressure in the coolant system, swap it for another cap and see if is is the same.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 09:16 PM   #14
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Phil, yes that is the engine that I am having problems with but it has been rebuilt with a new oil pump and all was well till the weekend, 1200 miles on the engine and it would look like the new oil pump has given up.
Old 09-05-17, 09:26 PM   #15
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Just up from the garage, refitted the original oil pump, it was needing cleaned and now packed with vaseline and back on the front of the engine, also refitted timing belt and all the other bits at the front,
I have removed cylinder number 5 big end cap and number 5 main bearing to have a look at the bearings, big end bearing was alittle dry of oil but looks ok, main bearing was wet with oil and also ok, going to take the oil pump down to the local engineering shop to see what they think of the oil pump before I refit the sump back on.
Old 09-05-17, 10:08 PM   #16
audisport8680
Grown up member

ok thanks, have fitted new cap, no different, it doesn't overheat and inside temps work fine, but I know its not right, problem is someone else did the swap and I am slowly sifting through the issues, but this is a big concern, as well as all the unconnected wiring plugs floating around from the original loom, ill get there though, just scratching my head at the coolant flow issue as there are no leaks??
Old 10-05-17, 06:45 AM   #17
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

I have the same concerns with the original wiring loom. Looking back at your posts, your lumpy idle may be caused by poor fuel injector spray pattern, are you using the original injectors or have you upgraded to the bosch fuel injectors, we all have different problems with this engine swap, my little niggle is the water temp is not the hottest when driving (60 to 70deg), first thought was the thermostat but now on my third with no change to running temp, the radiator fan comes on as normal with the temp gauge above half way, what can you do but drive it and see what happens.
Old 10-05-17, 10:34 AM   #18
audisport8680
Grown up member

Yes I checked the bosch injectors are in there, I think the originals were Hitachi? that needed an ohm step down pack? could still be a dodgy one though, I still think its to do with how I have all the breather hoses set up and connected, there was no idle control valve when I got it, the outlet at the front of the intake manifold was blanked off as well as the corresponding one on the intake boot near the throttle body, so I piped in the valve and it was a lot better but still a little lumpy until you open it up. my temp vdu isnt working at the moment but on the dash it never gets above qtr, and I know its hotter than that. I would be interested to see some close up pics of how you have your intake piped up, breather hoses ect if you ever get time, Just to compare, thanks for the info!!
Old 10-05-17, 11:14 AM   #19
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

I am using the later type engine with the 4 plug ECU.
Old 10-05-17, 01:22 PM   #20
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Here's an early car with a cone filter