Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Top Ten Weekly Download Reccomends

Old 06-02-09, 11:16 PM   #1
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Top Ten Weekly Download Reccomends

The one thing I love about being in the garage or doing those much needed jobs around the house is the opportunity to stick the old phones in the lug holes, put the MP3 player on random play and get lost for a few hours. I always find that I get a right good aural smacking with tracks that I never heard before or rediscover for the second time so I usually bookmark them. So to kick us off here are my top ten discoveries for this week. If you have any to reccomend feel free to add them. The only rule is each time you post a top ten you can't post the same track twice on the thread.

So to kick us off

1. Love Reign Over Me - David Holmes, this one snuck up on me, never really knew much about David Holmes but will definately go and find some more. Ambient/Dream pop with a gliding heartbeat of a rythm.

2. I Feel Alright - Jimmy James and The Vondells, a stomping belter of classic Northern Soul track, I dare you not to stomp your feet!

3. The Pills Won't Help You Now - Chemical Brothers, possibly not what you would expect from the Chemical Brothers. Wraps you up and heals your spirit.

4. You Make Me Feel Good - Lawrence and Jaibi, another soul track and a new discovery for me. If you are a connoiseur of the genre or just have a passing interest you will enjoy this. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel would have been hard pushed to top this one.

5. Snyper - Hybrid, if you like your trance/dance with big sweeping strings then Hybrid are a must. Admittedly this track is probably one for the PlayStation generation but I'm sure this is right up Groomus alley

6. Medusa - Ulrich Schnaus, I seem to have had a bit of a synthy vibe buzzing through my blood this week. Very much a big "shoegaze" sound, if your not sure what "shoegaze" is, ask Jaytee.

7. Take Me Home - The Guillemots, this is a wonderful wonderful track, very reminiscent of the Blue Nile, gently meanders you along to a quite place in your mind. Sheer bliss

8. Last Time Forever - Squeeze, I don't play enough Squeeze it has to be said and I'm not sure why as this is a great track. A bit eighties but in a good way.

9. Try A Little Tenderness (Live)- Otis Redding, a great song in it's own right by Otis but when he did it live he rocked. If ever you get a chance to see Otis at Montreau Festival shortly before his death you will get some idea of the stage presence of the man. Big in stature and big in sound.

10. How To Keep A Girlfriend - The Herbalise Ft Jean Grae, listen up fella's this lady will tell you what a lady needs. Real Girl Power in a Hip Hop Stylee.

There you go now come on, don't be shy come tell us what we need to be listening to and why
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 01:40 PM   #2
SteveCat
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default .

Youre right about being a fan of Hybrid ....

Theres also a site named www.hybridized.org

Its not related to the outfit Hybrid,but it contains mixes in that genre by the likes of American DJs such as Ned Shepherd and Jody Wisternoff,one half of Way Out West ...

Rock on greatmate!
Old 07-02-09, 07:43 PM   #3
stuartmmcfc
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

David Holmes did the soundtrack for "Oceans twelve" which was a brilliant album and I've also got his "free association" CD from a couple of years later which is good-ok.
He's well worth investigating further
stuartmmcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-09, 05:01 PM   #4
SteveCat
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default .

One of my old heroes Tall Paul used to hammer this old chestnut back in about 97.

Sain-Its Alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5kx9d4pbXc

If this doesnt have you tapping your tootsie nothing will,to a strangely sinister sounding tune though.

Old 14-02-09, 08:03 PM   #5
Emjay
Classic Audi Club Member

Very early nineties sound there Steve, takes me back to a time and place, just setting out on a new career and the world was my oyster.
Old 14-02-09, 08:59 PM   #6
Emjay
Classic Audi Club Member

Here's this weeks selection:

1 Tomorrow - The Blue Nile. I was never really into these but Jaytee was big into them. She talked me into seeing them live last year and I was absolutely blown away by the Paul Buchanan's voice. A real stage presence he filled the Bridgewater Hall. Anyway this is a special one for me as it's Valenetines day. I love you Jaytee xx

2 Is That All There Is - Cristina. Wonderful wonderful wonderful lyrics and a pastiche of a Peggy Lee track. Contains the best line ever in a song " He beat me black and blue and I loved it!!"

3 Thou Shalt Always Kill - Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, another one with funny, witty lyrics, self depracating at times and a beat that seeps into the brain. Thou shall not pimp my ride!! Thou shall not quote me happy!!!

4. Jetstream - Doves, the latest offering from one of my all time favorite bands. 4 years overdue but well worth the wait.

5. Sing - Glenn Campbell, one of the suprise albums of the last 12 months for me. Glenn Campbell covers a whole host of songs and does them suprisingly well. This is a rework of the Travis hit. If you haven't heard this album yet then you should.

6 The Sound Of Music - Lowline, saw this band at Manchester Academy with about 20 other people. Dirty Manchester Sound at it's best. We also saw at the same time............

7. Here Are the Roses - The Dragons .............these guys. Those of you older Goths (Coxy??) may like them, very distinctive 80's sound from a modern band

8. Jackie - Scott Walker, just about one of the oddest performers ever. Amazing voice, gave us some fantatsically produced over the top songs with the Walker Brothers and at the same time such wonderful gems as this. You may know the Marc Almod version but give me this one everytime. Camper than a Camp man in a Camper van!

9 Trouble - Ray La Montagne, love this mans voice, nothing more to say really

10 There I've Said It Again - Frankie Vaughan, now I am partial to a bit of easy lsitening cheesy schmalz. In fact I'm partial to an awful lot of it and here is one of my cheeesiest choices. Hey it is Valentines day
Old 15-02-09, 10:51 AM   #7
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Blue Nile, this was one of the best songs back in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhiQ-...eature=related

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote