Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Removal of wings, HELP!?

Old 28-01-09, 11:14 PM   #1
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Removal of wings, HELP!?

Hi everyone,

I need some help & advice!

I want to remove the front wings of my Audi 80 (Type85), and would like to ask anyone out there who has done the same before, just what they did. I have had a look on the VAGCAT and found the following image;

I have looked at all the bolts under the bonnet, and they seem to come undone freely, and suprisingly the screws around the underside of the arch seem to come undone relatively trouble free too.

I presume the rubber insert (Numbered 12 above) and the wing are seperate items, and this must come off before the rest of the wing? As I guess this must hide the fixing bolt for the wing (5)?

The other bolt I cant locate on the car is number seven, I have looked under the bonnet and through the door gap, but cant find this one anywhere?

Next thing, there seems to be lots of glue stuff holding the wings on under the bonnet, just what is it and does it come off easily? And what should I use on the new wings, is there any special glue I should be using?

I know im a pest asking things like this all the time, I promise I will get the hang of it one day.

I really do wish there was a step by step guide for doing things like this! Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks to all in advance,

Sie!
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-09, 11:29 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon A. Baskerville View Post
Hi everyone,

I need some help & advice!

I want to remove the front wings of my Audi 80 (Type85), and would like to ask anyone out there who has done the same before, just what they did. I have had a look on the VAGCAT and found the following image;

I have looked at all the bolts under the bonnet, and they seem to come undone freely, and suprisingly the screws around the underside of the arch seem to come undone relatively trouble free too.

I presume the rubber insert (Numbered 12 above) and the wing are seperate items,
Yes, you're looking at the arch liner, it unclips off the wing with 13 to 16 three times around the outer wing - if fitted?)
Quote:
and this must come off before the rest of the wing?
Yes
Quote:
As I guess this must hide the fixing bolt for the wing (5)?
Yes, (5) is a 10mm bolt (ISTR) that goes through into the 'A' pillar from the far inside of the arch/wing.

Quote:
The other bolt I cant locate on the car is number seven, I have looked under the bonnet and through the door gap, but cant find this one anywhere?
7 should be visible through the door jam to the 'A' pillar, if the car has had wings replaced in it's history, they are quite often missing already.
Quote:

Next thing, there seems to be lots of glue stuff holding the wings on under the bonnet,
this in item 10 on the ETKA sheet
Quote:
just what is it and does it come off easily?
No....
Quote:
And what should I use on the new wings, is there any special glue I should be using?
the same stuff
Quote:

I know im a pest asking things like this all the time, I promise I will get the hang of it one day.

I really do wish there was a step by step guide for doing things like this! Any help would be much appreciated.
not a problem, use plenty of 'warmth' to activate '10', and really, really.... really...try and avoid bending the wing when removing it... Really... With all that '10' under it, it's easy to bend it, and then it'll be all but shagged
Quote:

Many thanks to all in advance,

Sie!
No probs

Ian
Old 29-01-09, 07:46 PM   #3
msh
4 ring whore!

On B3 was very simple - just remove bumper and wheel and look for bolts until it comes off
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 08:25 PM   #4
kully
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to kully

Keep some latex gloves on whilst removing the wings because the glue holding the wing to the flitch is horrible to get of yourself matey
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 11:54 PM   #5
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Cheers for that Ian, guessed that was pretty much it, glad im learning something! Dont supoose you know how to get to that last bolt (7)?

Kully, thanks for the tip on the glue, any idea what you use in its place on the new wings?

Cheers again fella's,

Sie!
Old 31-01-09, 06:37 AM   #6
kully
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to kully

You can use some stuff called dumdum, itsused to put door insulations on in cars, if you have any trouble getting hold of some, let me know, or there might be enough of it left on the flitch for your new wing. I think its there to stop any vibration travelling through the panel.
To get to bolt number 7 you have to open the door out fully, sit in the car and peer out and look into the top part of the appeature where the door hinges to a post are, it should be a phillips head screw.
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 04:51 PM   #7
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kully View Post
You can use some stuff called dumdum, itsused to put door insulations on in cars, if you have any trouble getting hold of some, let me know, or there might be enough of it left on the flitch for your new wing. I think its there to stop any vibration travelling through the panel.
To get to bolt number 7 you have to open the door out fully, sit in the car and peer out and look into the top part of the appeature where the door hinges to a post are, it should be a phillips head screw.
Cheers again Kully!

I've heard of that dumdum stuff before, im gonna get some I think, I remember someone recommended it for sealing the rear lights, so should come in useful for both.

I cant find the crew now, its covered in snow! Have to leave it until tomorrow me thinks (hopes!).

Sie!