Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Audi 80 B3 as a daily driver

Old 04-01-18, 08:06 PM   #11
Daveycooper
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have a B3 (regrettably up for sale as it happens!). Absolutely you could use - B3 as a daily driver. Very robust cars, parts generally good providing you know where to look.

There’s audi tradition (germany based, but website in english, generally gd to deal with).

American based ECS tuning also often has b3 parts available. Import tax and delivery charges are horrendous if you look at their website but theres a car tuning stockists based in manchester or liverpool who get a monthly shipment from ecs and so do the hard work for you (they also make postage costs reasonable). I’ll cant remember the name of company just now but I’ll try and dig it out.
Cheers
David
Daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 08:31 PM   #12
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycooper View Post
theres a car tuning stockists based in manchester or liverpool who get a monthly shipment from ecs and so do the hard work for you
Would that be AwesomeGTI.com ???

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 08:35 PM   #13
Daveycooper
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes that sounds right!
Daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 10:01 PM   #14
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquattr085 View Post
Would that be AwesomeGTI.com ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycooper View Post
Yes that sounds right!
Thanks for the link

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 11:08 AM   #15
Jimbo 123
Newbie!

Many thanks for all the help guys. There are a view issues I found with the car I viewed which I just want to double check are not going to cause to much of an issue/easy to sort if I do purchase the car (this can be moved to the technical area if necessary).

1) MOT advisory says that the Nearside and Offside Front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment.

Is this just a case of tightening the bolts are something more sinister?

2) There was a noticeable oil leak coming from the car down the right hand side (as you look into the engine bay from the front).

It looked like it was coming from the oil pressure switch but there was a lot of oil along the side of the engine. Could it be the case that this has sprayed everywhere from the switch while driving along? Furthermore, there was oil along the rack just behind engine (bar running from wheel to wheel - can't thick of the correct turn for it) - could this just be from the switch as well or could this be something more sinister??

The rocker cover was also leaking slightly but not too concerned about this as this was one of the items tackled on my buddy's Scirocco.

3) MOT advisory says slight exhaust smoke/blue smoke under acceleration.

The car has done 78000 miles approx, so I am assuming the valve stem seals have gone. Is it an easy job on these engines? I've had them changed on the Capri, and it was possible with the engine in place.

4) The idle was quite low and slightly erratic.

Is this one of a potential number of things or is this a common thing for these engines with an easy fix?

5) The rear offside door lock was constantly down and un-openable from the inside but could be opened from the outside.

Assuming the rod has just popped off on the inside off the door...easy fix or is the trim a pain to remove?

6) There was corrosion on the rear nearside wheel arch to the bottom right as you look into the wheel arch. The metal was 'flaky' and split (if that makes sense).

With the body work being galvanized are these more of a pain to sort 'properly' with regards to welding etc..

8) With the engine being basically VW, is the gearbox the same or is this Audi 80 unique?

7) The link to the car is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-AUDI.../152851698765?

Is there anything else that looks dodge or out of place??

Many many thanks for the help and sorry for the long post. You guys have been very helpful so far.
Jimbo 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 11:54 AM   #16
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

1. Probably the upper mounts on the struts, cheap enough and straightforward suspension work
2. Possibly the switch or just the rocker cover, impossible to tell without cleaning and looking for fresh oil. Either way it's not a complicated engine.
3. If you have air pressure and the correct tools I know this can be done on other cars, the head however usually comes off for this.
4. I'd be checking for air leaks as a first port of call, split hoses, vacuum pipes etc etc.
5. Trim panel comes off very easily on these.
6. You don't breath in the gases when welding galvanised but just make sure any metal being welded is cleaned back to bare metal (as you'd do anyway) before welding starts. I've had welding done on my B3 and it was straightforward
7. Looks clean
8. Remember the standard VW set up was transverse engine/FWD as opposed to inline engine/FWD for Audi.

You may find this useful. Febi are OEM for a lot of German kit.

http://www.febi-live.com

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 05:22 PM   #17
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, Have been following your quest for a nice Audi 80. Whilst the one you selected looks ok'ish , the one I'd go for is under item number 282696763855. ( couldn't get the link to work )

I was tempted myself , more especially as its an injected version rather than a carb version. Admittedly higher miles but supposedly has a full Audi service history and only one owner. Also higher price but the seller might have some leeway as he is a dealer and you might be able to get a short warranty.

I have no connection with the sale I hasten to add, but from previous experiences, I'd try and steer clear of the old carb cars. Good Luck.
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 05:44 PM   #18
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank View Post
the one I'd go for is under item number 282696763855. ( couldn't get the link to work )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Audi...UAAOSw4nhZ5dRA

I like the carb one personally mainly because it looks plush inside!........and the asking price is 500 less

Whilst the above one is injected, it's Bosch K which won't be without potential problems?
The carb'd one......well yes, could have problems too! Old cars eh!

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 05:48 PM   #19
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks John, I particularly liked the full main dealer S/H. Injected a bit more power too? A good polish up and some nice wheels and I reckon the GL, but then thats just me.
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 05:51 PM   #20
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank View Post
Thanks John, I particularly liked the full main dealer S/H. Injected a bit more power too? A good polish up and some nice wheels and I reckon the GL, but then thats just me.
I get your thinking, it is a nice car.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote