Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » The DVLA Car Tax rip off !

Old 29-10-14, 01:46 PM   #1
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default The DVLA Car Tax rip off !

Well, I think the issues regarding the new system of car tax and the associated refund of "unused" tax when one sells a car has already been discussed elsewhere on the Forum.

But just to labour the point, if you are looking for a refund on the tax disc, it will only be refunded to the nearest month ahead of the date you sell. i.e. if you have 3 months tax remaining and you sell mid way through that month, , then you can expect a refund of 2 months worth of tax. Meanwhile , the new purchaser will have to tax the car starting with the month they are buying it , so the DVLA in effect gets a payment from 2 individuals for a months tax on the one car. I find this OUTRAGEOUS !!

Today, I received my refund of tax on a car I sold earlier this month. I'd paid out £126.50 for six months tax at the beginning of September, and thus was expecting to get 4 months worth of that tax refunded, i.e two thirds of £126.50 which comes to £84.33

However, the DVLA cheque is for £76.66, nearly £8.00 less.

So what are the bu**ers doing? They are basing the refund on the annual fee of £230.00 and refunding 4 months of that ! Another rip off in my book .

I THINK that when you applied for a refund on an old tax disc, you got the face value of the tax disc refunded to the nearest next month but I could be wrong on this not having done it that many times.

Anyone else like to comment ?

Mr Grump in Cornwall !
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-14, 02:30 PM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

6 months was always the worst way of buying tax. it carries a premium. Why? is anyone's guess. An arbitrary surcharge because some bureaucrat decided so. However, refunds have always been based on the yearly charge, to my knowledge. I refuse to buy 6 months

That said, the revamp in car tax is absolutely ridiculous, and is going to make life very difficult due to the overlapping times, and periods of untaxed.
You can't tax without a V5. Said V5 won't be in your name for a period of time. so no buy and drive.
for all of the improvements in place- ANPR, online tax and SORN, this process seems to be going backwards in all ways except the revenue collection.

the options seem to be-
Feck em. Become a pikey
Feck em. Start a revolution
Feck it. bend over, again

a strongly worded petition to the wastebasket at no10 is called for
Old 29-10-14, 03:05 PM   #3
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yup, you're right as usual!! I've been grumbling at the DVLA since the above post and they confirmed that refunds are always based on the annul licence fee. I guess I asked for a refund so rarely that it wasn't an issue and normally I used to buy my road tax annually, However, with 4 cars to tax, MOT and insure, the 6 month option softens the demand on already stretched bank balance and also as I might just SORN the CQ, this Winter, it was another reason.
Still, we are definitely being ripped of with this new system....as for needing a V5 to tax your new car, I understand that one can tax a new car with the green slip normally given to a purchaser, so we can't escape on that excuse !

Love that option of the waste bin at No10 !!!
Old 29-10-14, 09:54 PM   #4
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Same here, I cannot afford 3 lots of 12 months, especially since during the revamp in bands my A6 is now 2g into the £475 tax band.

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-14, 08:34 AM   #5
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
Same here, I cannot afford 3 lots of 12 months, especially since during the revamp in bands my A6 is now 2g into the £475 tax band.
OUCH!! That is extortion !!
Old 30-10-14, 08:57 AM   #6
andydunn2
Ragtop Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
Is this because they just realised that diesels are the devils work and your A6 is single handidly causing global warming and melting ice caps????

Project "Best of Both Worlds" 1995 S2 Quattro Cabriolet
andydunn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 11:18 PM   #7
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydunn2 View Post
Is this because they just realised that diesels are the devils work and your A6 is single handidly causing global warming and melting ice caps????
lol, more like an excuse to get more money out of me. since bands changed Audi have not only made the new 3.0 tdi more powerful but also remapped to ensure it falls into the lower band again.
on thistax issue, i have just bought a car off ebay for very lttle for daughters first car and garage that took car in exchange sent off v5 and cashed in tax, v5 still not returned and he says i can tax using his green slip, but surely thats not an option as no sooner that te v5 returns its going to be sent off and he'll get sent the remaing tax leaving me to get at least yet another 6 months tax... Am I right

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-14, 08:18 AM   #8
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I presume that if the garage sent off the V5, they will now show as an owner and should have sorned the car? The garage would not get the tax refund , the last owner would/should under the new rules.

Certainly you can tax the car using the green slip and when you do that, you fill in the section entitled new keepers details so the tax you pay for, is yours and only yours.

At least that is what I understand but.......
Old 22-11-14, 07:18 AM   #9
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

You can tax a car with green slip.

Post office scan it.
Old 22-11-14, 08:54 AM   #10
RetroAuto
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think you guys need to step back and look at this new system from a different angle.

No longer do the Authorities have to rely on the public's honesty in keeping their vehicles legal, just like they did many years ago with the TV licence they have arranged it so unless you have a sorn in place it has to be Taxed, MOT'd, and most importantly Insured.

Now we have ANPR Cameras checking every vehicle that passes by without any human input. Trouble is these Cameras don't have human eyes, they can only read number plates that comply with British Standards, an example is they can't read the Pre-73 Black/White plates.

I heard a few weeks ago of a group of Travellers who have visited the local hospital and noted the reg of a few Ambulances, bought some 'Show Plates' off e-bay with the BS number along the bottom, these are 100% legal, fitted the plates to their Trannys secure in the knowledge that when they pass a camera it will not alert the authorities.

So, the Avid Collector of Audis only needs to keep just the one Legal, the others can be sorned. All he needs to ensure is that his collection of cars are not on public display all wearing the same number, simple.
RetroAuto is offline   Reply With Quote