Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Water...

Old 07-03-16, 09:22 AM   #51
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimsladie View Post
it was defiantly comeing in around the housing, taking it off I revealed a sponge gasket inside the housing which was a little tired looking
This was part of what I looked at and repaired when I tackled the scuttle panel - mine is still leaking though, so keep an eye on it as this fix didn't work for me, hope it does for you though
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 04:36 PM   #52
Slimsladie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
This was part of what I looked at and repaired when I tackled the scuttle panel - mine is still leaking though, so keep an eye on it as this fix didn't work for me, hope it does for you though
Oh great thanks lol, I'm waiting for it to rain as I've used a hose and thought all was ok until the rain came.
I'll keep my fingers crossed
Slimsladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 06:50 PM   #53
Slimsladie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorry1781cc for hijacking your post but trying to sort my leaks and hoping to help you with yours, I tested mine today and............ it bloody leaked again!! so back to the drawing board, using green water again I found that it was coming in by the drain hole in the scuttle but how?? I'd cleaned the drain but around the scuttle there was some black crap, trying to clean it away I realised it wasnt dirt but some kind of rubber crap, cleaned that away and victory(all be it hollow I'll take it) I found the damage that had been covered up, its obviously had a knock on the front and then bodged up, so at least I can work on that area now to sort it

Lovely isn't it, just need to know how to repair it now, I'm thinking hammer the metal back down and seal it ?? Open to suggestions. I'm not in a position to do major body work that will come later so I'm after more of a good quick fix ?
Old 07-03-16, 09:33 PM   #54
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimsladie View Post
Sorry1781cc for hijacking your post but trying to sort my leaks and hoping to help you with yours, I tested mine today and............ it bloody leaked again!! so back to the drawing board, using green water again I found that it was coming in by the drain hole in the scuttle but how?? I'd cleaned the drain but around the scuttle there was some black crap, trying to clean it away I realised it wasnt dirt but some kind of rubber crap, cleaned that away and victory(all be it hollow I'll take it) I found the damage that had been covered up, its obviously had a knock on the front and then bodged up, so at least I can work on that area now to sort it

Lovely isn't it, just need to know how to repair it now, I'm thinking hammer the metal back down and seal it ?? Open to suggestions. I'm not in a position to do major body work that will come later so I'm after more of a good quick fix ?
Wow, that's some damage! Hope you get it sorted, personally I think it needs some plates welding over it to do it properly, then treat, paint and seal

I don't have this damage on mine, so my problem is obviously different, but looks like it's your issue, so at least you found it!

Anyone advise on how to get to the plenum chamber on the v6?
Old 26-04-16, 06:47 AM   #55
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Just a quick update to close off watergate - I have had the interior back in the car for two weeks, she's been in the rain (some of it brutally heavy) and harsh winds as well, and the carpets are bone dry.

I can only assume that I jumped the gun too quickly last time and as soon as I saw water under the carpet after fixing the seals on the scuttle/pollen filter that it hadn't solved the issue, in reality, letting her dry out for 5 weeks meant I probably didn't dry her out enough first time round and it was the remaining water falling out of the carpet sponge insulation.

Not sure what future this car holds with me, but I am not making any decisions until we get some great weather and I can whip her top off

Old 26-04-16, 06:49 AM   #56
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Great result Lee, glad you got it sorted!
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 05:11 PM   #57
leggy

<--- I'm doing the happy dance now 1781cc
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 07:45 PM   #58
Slimsladie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I seem to have finally sorted my leaks out as well, good job