Classic Audi » Technical » Technical Info » 1992 Audi 80 8C B4 2.0E Oil Spec

Old 06-02-20, 01:02 PM   #1
esseff
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 1992 Audi 80 8C B4 2.0E Oil Spec

Here's one for the Audi gurus!
I've got a 92 8C B4 2.0E with less than 80,000 miles on the clock and have noticed a strange engine noise for the last couple of years. When I start up everything sounds fine but once the engine's hot after 30 minutes or so, there's a grating/clattering noise at idle from somewhere in the upper cam belt cover area. If I increase the revs a little, the noise goes away.
I couldn't pin down the exact source with a stethoscope so I took it to a local mechanic who said it was the cam belt tensioner pulley. It wasn't, so that was twenty quid wasted. Then he said it must be the alternator bearings. The price of having it overhauled wasn't much less than a new replacement so I fitted another. That didn't #*%%$@ work either so more money lost.
I'm wondering if it's a reduced oil pressure issue as there's no abnormal noise when the engine's cold. It's presently on 10-40 semi-synth.
The oil was changed about 4 or 5000 miles ago so maybe it wouldn't hurt to change it anyway as most of my trips are less than 12 miles. Any opinions on changing to a 20/50 grade for diagnostic purposes? Or any other suggestions?
esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 04:48 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

clattering noise is often hydraulic tappets. If it's only doing it once hot, it could be oil starvation

I had it on a previous car, although the oil light would come on under hard acceleration.

oil pick up was partially blocked.

I think if you go to a thicker oil like 20W50, it may make the problem worse.

I'm guessing you don't have an oil pressure gauge in the centre console ?
Old 06-02-20, 05:17 PM   #3
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

I had the same symptoms as you on my Coupe GT years ago, although mine had the 5 pot JS engine. I changed the oil to 20w50 and it seems to be a lot better. After 5,000 miles it would tap after giving it some beans but changing the oil would ensure it wouldn’t tap until the next interval. I did 108,000 miles using this method and didn’t miss a beat with regular oil changes.

To be honest, mikes2 will be more knowledgeable than myself, just thought I’d reply as I’ve had a similar issue in the past
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 01:00 PM   #4
esseff
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Mikes2: I had noisy lifters on a previous 80 and the sound isn't quite the same, as I'm getting the grating noise at idle too. A couple of hundred revs more clears it. You're right, no oil pressure gauge on my model. The oil light has never come on with the engine running. What caused your pick-up blockage?

86audicoupe: that's interesting... I'm tempted to go for 20/50 as the oil pressure light hasn't shown anything untoward. One thing's for sure, the next time a mechanic says so and so needs replacing, I'll let him order the parts and take the responsibility and cost of mis-diagnosis. I don't have access to a workshop facilities any more, which is costing me a fortune in garage labour charges; I was stung £86.00 (1.5 hours) for changing over an alternator pulley last week. If I'd had a vice and puller, I could have done that in half the time and for free.

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to upload an audio file of the noise this weekend.
Old 07-02-20, 02:27 PM   #5
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

The original engine in my 1987 coupe Gt 2.2 Kv (87k) did make an odd tappet ticking noise, replaced the oil and no change, replaced all the hydraulic lifters, that helped a little but the odd single tick or double tick was still there, the head was in getting new valve guides and skimmed as I had removed it to port the head and found valve guide ware on the exhaust guides, the old school guy that I use said looks like you have some lifter ware, I found this odd because he only had the bare head, no cam, valves, springs or lifters, I started to question him on his comment and he turned the head on its side and pointed to the holes in the head the lifters fit into round the valve stem and springs, there he said, you can see the ware in two or three of them as the colour was a shade different to the others, He explained this is not a big problem it will only get nosier over time but the engine will still run, a new head wound be best solution, he also suggested big bore exhaust or louder stereo. Joking aside all these engine are getting old now and may be getting past their sell by date, you will never get a 25-30 year old engine to run as smooth and as sweet as a modern one, some times you just have to love the old girl for all her little faults.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 05:25 PM   #6
esseff
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorry, Colin, I didn't see your reply.
This might come in handy for anyone else with the same problem:
A German-sounding garage in Draycott diagnosed and fixed the annoying grating sound. The cam belt tensioner body was chafed through on one side, exposing the piston or whatever it is. There's no noise at all now!
I won't be going back to any of the previous garages after my experiences.