Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » 90 20v Sport Speedlines

Old 26-12-09, 10:07 PM   #11
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

has anyone tried speedlines without the bolts??, I reckon they would look quite cool. Personally for me with the bolts they are just a bit too fussy, not helped by the fact the bolts are fake
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 10:20 PM   #12
K Simmonds
Classic Audi Club Member

Yep, I've refurbed a set of 14's with the fake bolts all snapped off, they look OK, could get some photos as their now on a mates garden Audi.
K Simmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 11:37 PM   #13
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
has anyone tried speedlines without the bolts??, I reckon they would look quite cool. Personally for me with the bolts they are just a bit too fussy, not helped by the fact the bolts are fake

Without the bolts though you are left with 30 little holes which looks a little pants!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 11:45 PM   #14
amanda
quattro hussie!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
I had as set of new audi speedlines without the nuts just need to find the piccie ...............
RS6 ...my baby
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 11:50 PM   #15
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I had as set of new audi speedlines without the nuts just need to find the piccie ...............
There was a black CQ20V on eBay not long back with a set minus nuts.
Just looked a bit lost and empty!

There's also a couple of styles of speedline rims.

The earlier sets had the Speedline name embossed on one of the 6 spokes and the centre caps were screw in ones which came with a large black plastic key to undo them.
An absolute pain in the arse to remove the centre caps without the plastic key.
The later ones had push on centres with 2 small grooves where you could carefully wedge a flat head screw driver to remove the centre cap.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 11:54 PM   #16
amanda
quattro hussie!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
There was a black CQ20V on eBay not long back with a set minus nuts.
Just looked a bit lost and empty!

There's also a couple of styles of speedline rims.

The earlier sets had the Speedline name embossed on one of the 6 spokes and the centre caps were screw in ones which came with a large black plastic key to undo them.
An absolute pain in the arse to remove the centre caps without the plastic key.
The later ones had push on centres with 2 small grooves where you could carefully wedge a flat head screw driver to remove the centre cap.
Let me find the piccie and mine didnt need the plastic key ..........but i have a brandnew one here if anyone wants one
RS6 ...my baby
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-09, 06:45 AM   #17
Kenquattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaudi View Post
My new Audi wears its original 15" wheels & there are also 4 spares with it too - including the one in the boot.

I've never liked this design of wheel, in that it looks fussy & old fashioned.

But... I'm a stickler for originality, so what should I do? I don't essentially want to mess with the ingredients that make this car reasonably special.

I like the plain Ronals on other Audi 90's, but were these ever fitted to the Sport?

The tyres are 205/50R15's, should they be 60 section tyres?

Can these wheels be easily & successfully refurbished..? They've been badly painted before (including painting over the chrome 'bolts') & this paint is now flaking off, they're corroded & a couple of tyres need changed too. They would need dipped... would this knacker the chrome effect bolts?

So many questions !

It is very difficult to do a decent refurb on the Speedlines to a factory finish. I had a set done professionally on my old 90 Sport 20V. The rims were polished, but were not lacquered. The fake bolts were left on and painted with the rest of the wheel. The 'Speedline' logo on the bolts lost it's definition after painting. Needless to say, they were stunning for about a fortnight, then they started to look scruffy. When I bought J73 GNH, I was bought 5 brand spanking new Speedlines for it, but they were the deeper dish Coupe 20V ones. They lasted about three years before they started showing signs of the lacquer peeling. That was despite them being kept clean at all times. The 15" Ronal Aeros were fitted as standard to the very rare 90 quattro 10V KV with Sport Pack. The 90 Sport 20v/90 quattro Sport 20V came with Speedlines as standard for the UK market, other countries were available with the 15" Aero wheels. 205/50VR15 was the correct size tyre for the 90. 205/60/VR15 being the correct size for the Coupe. I think the best option, other than sourcing brand new wheels, is to refurb them without having the rim polished, as they will go dull almost within a week of use. The first pic illustrates how the 15" Aeros look on a black 90 Sport, this car being a 10V, despite the 20V boot badge. These were the original factory fitted alloys. The other pics illustrate how new unrefurbed Speedlines look before they start to corrode. Hope this helps.
Kenquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-09, 06:47 AM   #18
Kenquattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpdriver View Post
Kenquattro will be along in a minute...
Sorry for the delay, as I have been in work!
Old 27-12-09, 06:48 AM   #19
Kenquattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john johnson View Post
He may be delayed, he could be deciding which trainers to wear and getting them out of their cryogenic safety deposit box
Yes, I decided on my adidas Marathons. lol.
Old 27-12-09, 12:07 PM   #20
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

Mmm... certainly food for thought. Given that the o/s/f tyre has lost 30lbs of pressure in a week and two sidewalls are in a poor state from having been left deflated, I'll need to do something about this situation pretty sharpish.

The Speedlines look good in there 'as new' spec; a quick refurb without the shiny rim & bolts I think would look a bit rubbish. I'm siding for the 15" Ronal Aeros tbh (particularly as they were available with them outside of the UK)... it'll be finding a decent set that might prove difficult. I've got a spare set of 10-spoke Audi 80 wheels that I may chuck on in the meantime & that'll surely push me to do something - look okay on an Audi 80 or Coupe, but on anything else they don't look good imo!