Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » ABS sensors... ( I hope! )

Old 25-03-09, 09:51 AM   #1
Johnny_E
Grown up member

Default ABS sensors... ( I hope! )

Ok. The symptoms first....

Only occurs randomly, when coming to a slow and gentle stop. Just as the car almost draws to a halt, the ABS unit kicks in (bzzzzzzz).

Dirty sensors?

No ABS fault lights on show I must add and only happens when gently braking. I havent got a Haynes yet for the car (95 B4 coupe). I take it its an easy enough job to clean them? (brake cleaner/toothbrush job?)

John
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-09, 10:55 AM   #2
BW2309
Banned

Send a message via MSN to BW2309 Send a message via Skype™ to BW2309

More than likely just as you say dirt, but actually in the castleated ring on the outter CV joint, it's this the sensor reads off. They become full of grime and rust and so the signal drops off when you get close to a halt. Give 'em a blow out with a can of brake and clutch cleaning spray. Also, worth checking it isn't caused by a split CV boot. If the boot splits it can fill the ring with grease.
BW2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-09, 11:05 AM   #3
Johnny_E
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW2309 View Post
More than likely just as you say dirt, but actually in the castleated ring on the outter CV joint, it's this the sensor reads off. They become full of grime and rust and so the signal drops off when you get close to a halt. Give 'em a blow out with a can of brake and clutch cleaning spray. Also, worth checking it isn't caused by a split CV boot. If the boot splits it can fill the ring with grease.
Good. Not the worst - unles sthe sensors are far gone I suppose. Even then, not a bog job though. Thanks!
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote