Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Oil warning light

Old 20-07-16, 07:38 AM   #1
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Oil warning light

On my 2.3 B3 Coupe the Oil Warning light and sound has started coming on but only when I pull up to a stop. To me this suggests possibly when the car drops to idle the oil pressure is dipping below optimum and its sending the alarm off? The Oil pressure seems to run from one scale to the other, while running its right at the top, full on 5 bar then when you pull up it goes down to one bar. As someone not especially mechanical I would have said that was fairly normal but open to opinions.

The oil level is fine and oil looks clean. I am going to get the oil changed today anyway just in case but I dont think its as simple as that.
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 07:56 AM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Have heard scare stories about pick-up strainer pipes becoming blocked but I think you're doing the right thing in getting the oil changed, and take it from there.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 08:01 AM   #3
leggy

Do you mean the oil warning light on the instrument panel Crossle?...
looks like an oil can? if yes, it's the oil pressure warning lamp and not a monitor for the oil level. Should come on when engine is switched on and go out after engine is started.
Manual states: if it doesnt go out or if it comes on whilst driving (buzzer will sound above 2000rpm), switch off engine immediately, and if oil level is good, dont drive the vehicle or continue to run the engine, even at idle speed.

From what you've described, sounds like a fault somewhere, a sensor maybe? might be worth getting a diagnostic report to see what faults do show up.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 08:04 AM   #4
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post
On my 2.3 B3 Coupe the Oil Warning light and sound has started coming on but only when I pull up to a stop. To me this suggests possibly when the car drops to idle the oil pressure is dipping below optimum and its sending the alarm off? The Oil pressure seems to run from one scale to the other, while running its right at the top, full on 5 bar then when you pull up it goes down to one bar. As someone not especially mechanical I would have said that was fairly normal but open to opinions.

The oil level is fine and oil looks clean. I am going to get the oil changed today anyway just in case but I dont think its as simple as that.
Where in Northampton are you? I am in Grange Park and have VAG-COM, can scan it for you if that helps?
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 08:20 AM   #5
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Its not the lights that come on with the ignition know (not in the cluster of different square lights in the centre of the instrument panel). This is the big square box at the top of the instrument panel which is a digital read out and can show a multitude of different messages. I am not in a panic over it (well not at the moment anyway!!) as the engine sounds very sweet, there is good oil pressure under load and there is no oil warnings under load. Its only when you pull up it quickly lights up, sends a warning tone and then goes off again.

Last edited by Crossle; 20-07-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 20-07-16, 08:31 AM   #6
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Where in Northampton are you? I am in Grange Park and have VAG-COM, can scan it for you if that helps?
Blimey, your very close to me then, I'm in Roade village. Thanks for the offer mate but I've got all the information, I just like being lazy and asking the experts on here!
Old 20-07-16, 08:34 AM   #7
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post
Blimey, your very close to me then, I'm in Roade village. Thanks for the offer mate but I've got all the information, I just like being lazy and asking the experts on here!
yeah, I drive through there a lot! if you need anything just holler
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 08:41 AM   #8
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks Lee, appreciated. I will probably spot you out and about!

The clothing you were asking about by the way is available to order here-

http://www.firstavenuesupplies.co.uk...ry&path=60_109
Old 20-07-16, 07:28 PM   #9
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

1 bar on tickover doesn't sound right, when you first start the car from cold the pressure should be 5 bar, then as the oil warms up and becomes more fluid it should go down to 3 bar, this is when just left ticking over not driving, both my Coupes show 5 bar under load as in driving and only drop to 3 bar when stopped at lights etc. At 1 bar i think the oil pressure is too low, then again maybe i am in trouble
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-16, 08:39 PM   #10
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
1 bar on tickover doesn't sound right, when you first start the car from cold the pressure should be 5 bar, then as the oil warms up and becomes more fluid it should go down to 3 bar, this is when just left ticking over not driving, both my Coupes show 5 bar under load as in driving and only drop to 3 bar when stopped at lights etc. At 1 bar i think the oil pressure is too low, then again maybe i am in trouble
I think your totally right Bruce. Had the oil changed today, seal was gone on dipstick so replaced that then on the drive home I checked cold tick over pressure and it was over 3 bar. Then 20 miles later I pull up on the drive and straight down to 1 bar and light comes on. Rev it, pressure goes up light goes off, drop back to tick over down to 1 bar light goes off. This was not an issue when I ran the car early part of last week. It's only been an issue in this extreme hot weather and it is running slightly hot so suspect the heat might be causing it