Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » Summer tyres in the wet, any experts ?

Old 12-03-14, 10:00 AM   #11
Error404
Thobbing Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Remember things like side wall stiffness and weight of the car, load on the tyre make a big difference from car to car in terms of performance and comfort. So someone saying a tyre is great on their MKII doesn't mean it will be just as good on an RS6 etc.
Error404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 11:17 AM   #12
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I have tried all sorts on my Audi's and when I bought the A6 they had some unknown cheap tyres that quite frankly should not have been sold as a performance tyre as they were lethal in the wet despite good tread.
I quickly fitted some Goddyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics and in the 255/35/19 size on my A6 I have yet to get them to slip as I bottle out before they lose grip.
The Cq though is on Toyo's because unfortunately Goodyears top F1 tyre is not available in 205/50/15 and from my experience the next best one has been the Toyo, though seeing as I can now spin all 4 wheels in the wet I am begginning to think I need to swap to something else but overall been impressed by the Toyo's for the price

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 05:14 PM   #13
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Just my opinion from my experience with tyres, I have always argued that I found the v tread patterned tyres where nowhere near as good as the straighter patterned tyres wet or dry. All the boy racer (experts )tell me I'm wrong lol.
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 08:19 PM   #14
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

T1R is OK but rather long in the tooth these days. I've had several set on A4 quattros B5 & B6. I swapped over to Goodyear Assymetric 2 about 3 + years ago ( good wet weather and low noise in German tyre tests)
Conti are getting rubbish reviews ( from owners) for noise on new A3s at the moment.
Somebody even bought new tyres ( don't remember what ! ) as they couldn't live with the noise on motorways!
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 11:47 PM   #15
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

All of our Audis are currently on T1R's.... They're not the ultimate tyre, and have their limitations in 'ultimate' grip, but they are strong, dependable and most importantly, predictable with their break away in most conditions, including standing water (until they are at/below tyre wear limit). Snow is outside their comfort zone, but even here, quattro and a brain box wired for self preservation can see them achieve most tasks... With the cars on our drive, we can destroy tyres quite happily, and T1R's like being destroyed, with good humour and predictability, without breaking the bank.

There's a lot to be said for a progressive breakaway tyre...
Old 13-03-14, 07:06 AM   #16
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Auto Express do good tyre reviews.
Old 13-03-14, 07:28 AM   #17
SorenR
Grown up member

I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 om my S4 B5... 240+ km/h in pouring rain on the Autobahn -No problem... T1R's... No way in hell could I do the same... Dry road however... Different story ;-)
SorenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-14, 11:01 AM   #18
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

I had Pilot Sport ( not sure of number tho') on my S3 back in 2003 - and I thought they were rubbish ! They let go far too easily on damp roads for my liking!
The problem is different tyres seem very different on the same vehicle.
As I never do great quantity of miles I can afford to forget wear and go for grip, always, and as Issimo says there's a lot to say for a gentle let go
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-14, 08:37 AM   #19
Gaz

I have Vredistine sportrac 3 on my cq..

& Vredistine Ultrac Vorti on the A6. The Ultrac Vorti are B rated in the wet & don't have a V pattern. And you can always see clearly defined 'clean strips' under the wheel arch where the water has come off the tire and washed strait lines into the dirt under there.

I'd recommend them... I find them very good and choose them over many other brands like T1Rs
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-14, 09:05 AM   #20
Gaz

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Ultrac-Vorti

some reviews of the the Ultrac Vorti
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote