Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Hello. It’s been a while

Old 03-12-19, 09:00 PM   #11
maxustaxus
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
There’s a lot to be said for forums which will sadly be hindsight when it’s finally appreciated what’s missing.
I think I agree. I don't want to be negative about FB, and I am a member of Classic Audi on FB, but after god knows how many years, I still really don't make sense of any of the FB groups I am a member of.

I suspect it is just that a simple forum has an order to it. Things are under clear headings, the results of searchs are both relevant, and not overwhelming. Essentially, a good forum works at a pace I am happy to manage ('autoshite' is a good example of how this can work).

i am very guilty of not posting as often as I should myself, but I agree that yes, sadly, one day we will finally appreciate what we have lost to FB.
maxustaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:17 PM   #12
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm still on here regularly but have to say the Facebook Classic Audi Page which Alistair Cox Launched a few years back has grown this community tremendously. We would have missed a trick had he not done this. If you don't move with the the times things can die. Now we had 47 cars at Audis In The Park this year many of whom are both on the forum and on the Facebook page.
For next year I will continue to promote on both but I find Facebook I know who I am dealing with whereas on the forum the usernames just confuse the issue - sad but a sign of the times.
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 06:34 PM   #13
droopsnoot
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxustaxus View Post
I suspect it is just that a simple forum has an order to it. Things are under clear headings, ...
Indeed - my big problem with FB is that it's almost impossible to find stuff, sometimes only minutes after you last saw it, because of the "we know best" sorting of posts. Sure, you can switch it to show posts in order, but after a day or two it'll start nagging you to switch it back to "random" or whatever they call it, and after a day or two more it'll just do it without asking.

Trouble is, loads of people use it, at least for now until something else new takes over. Some of that is down to the forum software (and I don't mean just this forum here) - look how easy it is to add a picture to FB, and how (relatively) difficult it is to add one here, for example. One thing you can say about FB is that they do make things easy. It was probably great before they had such a desperate need to get ads on there.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote