Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » Polisher reccomendations

Old 08-06-16, 03:20 PM   #1
hmg
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Polisher reccomendations

I'm going to be doing a bit of paint fettling on a new purchase.

I need a cheapish idiot proof polisher so I probably will plump for an orbital one? I would imagine there some more serious paint faults when only a rotary will do? Shouild I man up?

Any recommendations for a polisher ,pads and 3 or 4 essential products for under £200?
hmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 04:45 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I'll just start of by saying i'm not in the trade just love my cars and serious about doing a job well. I'll leave the polishing machine up to you as we all have preferences/makes but when it comes to paint rectification products i use nothing but 3M products followed by Autoglym products generally.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 08-06-16 at 04:58 PM.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 09:45 PM   #3
Sandro
Grown up member

Sealey polisher will do job well, as Sealey pads as well.
3M, Farecla for the start - Autoglym, Meguiars for the finish

p.s. there are other brands available
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 09:49 PM   #4
DGSdale
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmg View Post
I need a cheapish idiot proof polisher so I probably will plump for an orbital one? I would imagine there some more serious paint faults when only a rotary will do? Shouild I man up?

Any recommendations for a polisher ,pads and 3 or 4 essential products for under £200?
If you've not used a machine polisher before then DEFINATELY go for an Orbital - the DAS 6 Pro comes highly recommended. I don't think there's anything an Orbital can't do that a Rotary can - it just takes longer. There's a huge choice of Cuts and Polishes and if you ask 10 different people what the best ones are you'll get nine different answers. I'm with VDT on the Auto Glym but use Menzerna products with the polisher.
2000 B4 80 2.6 Cabriolet Final Edition - Ming Blue - sold - & missed
2003 C5 A6 3.0 quattro Avant - Night Blue - current
1998 C5 A6 2.8 quattro Avant - Ming Blue - sold
1994 B4 80 2.6SE Avant - Indigo Pearl - sold - & missed
1993 B4 80 2.0 16V Sport - Gomera Green - sold
DGSdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 01:39 AM   #5
baronetboyz
Classic Audi TV
Classic Audi Club Member

I have had the same issues with paintwork but before you splash out check first that it will make any difference I checked with a body shop friend and basically a re-spray was the only answer for my car even though it does look ok until you get close.I have a 21 year old A6 C4 I got a polisher before taking advise and it really made no difference - I still polish it though and use MER Products they are German and really give a deep shine and are very easy to put on and more importantly take off even to my A6.Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 12-09-16, 04:25 PM   #6
Mike GF
Newbie!

I have both a Rotary Polisher and a Dodo Juice Buff Daddy Das 6 Orbital Polisher, I can count the times I have used the Rotary Polisher on one hand, but the Das 6 is the polisher I use ever time. Buy a Orbital Polisher, if you buy a rotary you can easily damage your paint, especially on crease lines.
Always start with a less aggressive sponge like a white if that's not cutting the paint back move on to an orange then the aggressive yellow, you can also try different types of cutting agent. The less cutting back of paint you do the better your paint will last. remember every time you use cutting compound you are removing paint (clearcoat). But before you go near your car with a polisher, go to a body shop and get them to measure the depth of paint at different points on the car and they will let you know if it's safe to cut back your paint. In the end you have to be happy with what you are using or it will hardly get used, just my opinion.
Mike GF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 08:01 PM   #7
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronetboyz View Post
I have had the same issues with paintwork but before you splash out check first that it will make any difference I checked with a body shop friend and basically a re-spray was the only answer for my car even though it does look ok until you get close.I have a 21 year old A6 C4 I got a polisher before taking advise and it really made no difference - I still polish it though and use MER Products they are German and really give a deep shine and are very easy to put on and more importantly take off even to my A6.Good luck and hope this helps.

Any photo's of your C4 - we like photo's on here
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-16, 08:29 AM   #8
angel
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm after buying a Duel action polisher 1200w or more depending on the weight , You can get the polisher and all pads off eBay for 50/70quid

Galvanised Gangbang - All B3 & B4's Very Welcome !

IF its not Broken dont fix it

The new Mrs Small
angel is offline   Reply With Quote