Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » Painting Decals?

Old 30-03-15, 11:05 AM   #1
Stonk
Grown up member

Default Painting Decals?

We will definitely be bringing my Mum's car back to the UK to sell and I am thinking about sprucing it up etc, it won't need too much done to it apart from a detailed clean. One thing that I'd like to look at is the original decals that run from the front headlights and wrap around the rear side windows. If I recall correctly when new, the one below was dark grey and the one above was red (I guess a sort of GTI red) but after 30 years of washing they have faded to a light grey.

I was thinking, maybe a professional sign writer could paint the original colours back in? Do you guys think that'll work? If so what paint?

Last edited by Stonk; 30-03-15 at 11:09 AM.
Stonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 01:15 PM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonk View Post
I was thinking, maybe a professional sign writer could paint the original colours back in? Do you guys think that'll work? If so what paint?[/IMG]
"Slacker" is a professional pinstriper/signwriter.......maybe he could advise?

It may just be as easy to remove the originals and use the "fresh paint" as a guide to put new stripes on?

On another note, if the stripes have aged nicely along with the rest of the paint then it's proof of originality....so to speak?

Last edited by John.; 30-03-15 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Originality....so to speak?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 01:21 PM   #3
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If you can work out the exact shape of your old decals, I have a good contact now who could probably make you a new set , but you will need to supply a pattern for him to work from....I guess the most significant part is the curve around the rear window, which you could get from a tracing ( put tracing paper over the area and then use a soft pencil to shade over the area and the shape will come through ( can't remember what the process is called, some one remind me please! )
He can supply samples of colours as well. You measure out the lengths and also could send some pictures too.

Let me know if you'd like the contact. Probably many other folk out there who can do the same thing.

Well worth doing as the car looks great...worth a picture for the Calendar IMHO.
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 01:30 PM   #4
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank View Post
put tracing paper over the area and then use a soft pencil to shade over the area and the shape will come through ( can't remember what the process is called, some one remind me please! )

"Brass Rubbing". Ahem
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 01:31 PM   #5
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I was thinking, maybe a professional sign writer could paint the original colours back in? Do you guys think that'll work? If so what paint?
I would go with Flying Franks suggestion rather than painting, I'm an ex-signwriter and the remake of decals is a better and cheaper option, painting is very risky in that it would have to be an A1 job, and that costs a fair bit to do. You may also want to consider that the prospective buyer may not like the stripes, and if painted on may be a mark against the sale of the car, at least with decals they can be removed with ease.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 01:32 PM   #6
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
"Brass Rubbing". Ahem
Old 30-03-15, 03:01 PM   #7
Stonk
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
You may also want to consider that the prospective buyer may not like the stripes,
Thanks all. The main aim is to keep the car as original as possible and the stripes are fitted when it rolled out of the factory. I guess all Coupe GT's had them back then but most have lost them over the years probably due to repairs etc.

I had no idea these could possibly be remade though. When I get the car back, if I may, I'll contact Flying Frank.
Many thanks
Steve
Stonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 04:41 PM   #8
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Thanks all. The main aim is to keep the car as original as possible and the stripes are fitted when it rolled out of the factory. I guess all Coupe GT's had them back then but most have lost them over the years probably due to repairs etc.

I had no idea these could possibly be remade though. When I get the car back, if I may, I'll contact Flying Frank.
Many thanks
Steve
be my pleasure to help if I can!
Old 30-03-15, 04:50 PM   #9
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default decals

I pinched this picture from an ad for a GTS on fleabay and it shows the coach lines quite well. They are probably quite tricky to make as it looks like they taper at both ends.

Measurements will be critical to achieve the desired originality I suspect.
Old 30-03-15, 09:10 PM   #10
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

It's a nice touch isn't it, I like the subtlety of the look.