Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Suspension overhaul advice - 1985 CQ

Old 12-08-18, 06:35 PM   #1
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Suspension overhaul advice - 1985 CQ

Hi all

Just after some advice - I'm replacing the shocks and springs all round on my cq. At the same time I'm doing the wheel bearings, top strut mounts, ball joints and converting to poly wishbone bushes. On the rear I am also replacing the rear discs. Is there anything else I may think about replacing while the struts are off??

Many thanks
Andy

andya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 12:11 PM   #2
droopsnoot
Grown up member

I'm interested in this, as I will need to do similar to mine once I've welded it back together.

Are the parts generally quite easy to find, or have you had trouble sourcing some things?

So far I know that I've got to change some of the mounts on the rear subframe, and I'm a bit annoyed that it seems that I've got to put poly on it, as I'd rather use normal rubber ones. I haven't spent much time looking, though. I've got to do springs - I swapped the fronts ages ago, and I'm sure they were too long for the car, and combined with the rears being original, it's given the car quite a nose-up look.

It would make sense to do some wheel bearings and stuff while it's all in pieces, but as I'm not really sure what I want to do with the car once it's finished, it's difficult to decide which way to go with it.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 12:30 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

ARB bushes are the only ones missing.

Be careful with the track rod ends when you release them from the struts or you'll damage the rubber boots and need to replace. Now's a good time as it will need aligned anyway

If you want to go even further, subframe bushes and gearbox / diff mounts
Old 13-08-18, 12:49 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I did a comprehensive rebuild on the quattro a few years ago, now.
Starting with a full set of struts which i'd purchased earlier, I slowly collected all the parts over time, and then built the whole lot up, to swap in one go.

A plan that almost worked. I was going to use some offset subframe mounts at the front, with the new subframe, but ran into some small technical issues (not helped by some really poor advice from a so-called quattro expert)

The result is the rear subframe is on alloy mounts, the front on poly. The wishbones all on poly. I used Koni dampers, but had no issues with the OEM dampers which i'd used about 10 years earlier, save they were due for a replacement.

I just replaced all the joints and arms in one go. The one thing I forgot was to check the steering rack gaiter. It was split, and gave up the ghost a short while later.

Track arms were fully dismantled, packed with grease, before assembly. Something i've done many times, and avoids the pain of seized arms later when you want an alignment.

parts list-
Ball joints
bushes
mounts
track arms
damper dust shrouds
(4V6-Industries) disc brake shields (time required for getting rotten bolts out from the struts)

Worth overhauling the brakes at the same time.
Hoses, calliper piston dust seals, calliper pin dust shields. Attention to any brake hardline while in there, and access is improved.

Diff mounts?
Old 13-08-18, 06:32 PM   #5
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

Wow thanks for the input guys - ARB bushes is the glaring one I forgot, so thanks.

Droopsnoot - I can source most of my parts from Pete Reeve at Quattro Corner. The poly bushes are readily available from sellers on eBay - failing that again Quattro Corner or you can try AM Cars at Ilminister.

I've opted for koni shocks for the rears. Haven't yet purchased fronts, I'm edging towards a pair of Bilsteins as I hear they are much harder than the konis and oem boge shocks. Happy to get some feedback on that

Droopsnoot - you've also got a cq haven't you?

Regards
Andy

Old 13-08-18, 06:45 PM   #6
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
I did a comprehensive rebuild on the quattro a few years ago, now.
Starting with a full set of struts which i'd purchased earlier, I slowly collected all the parts over time, and then built the whole lot up, to swap in one go.

A plan that almost worked. I was going to use some offset subframe mounts at the front, with the new subframe, but ran into some small technical issues (not helped by some really poor advice from a so-called quattro expert)

The result is the rear subframe is on alloy mounts, the front on poly. The wishbones all on poly. I used Koni dampers, but had no issues with the OEM dampers which i'd used about 10 years earlier, save they were due for a replacement.

I just replaced all the joints and arms in one go. The one thing I forgot was to check the steering rack gaiter. It was split, and gave up the ghost a short while later.

Track arms were fully dismantled, packed with grease, before assembly. Something i've done many times, and avoids the pain of seized arms later when you want an alignment.

parts list-
Ball joints
bushes
mounts
track arms
damper dust shrouds
(4V6-Industries) disc brake shields (time required for getting rotten bolts out from the struts)

Worth overhauling the brakes at the same time.
Hoses, calliper piston dust seals, calliper pin dust shields. Attention to any brake hardline while in there, and access is improved.

Diff mounts?
What did you think of the Konis?

The Rolls Royce of shocks in many ways!

Worth the extra money?
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-18, 06:47 PM   #7
droopsnoot
Grown up member

Yes, I've got a cq that I used to run as a daily driver from 72k to 273k, then took it off the road for various reasons. I started a rebuild thread on it as I've started welding the back end together: http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=38341

Cheers for the pointers on parts suppliers. I carry a list of Vauxhall bits around with me when I go to autojumbles, and it's about time I started carrying the same for the cq.
Old 13-08-18, 06:53 PM   #8
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopsnoot View Post
Yes, I've got a cq that I used to run as a daily driver from 72k to 273k, then took it off the road for various reasons. I started a rebuild thread on it as I've started welding the back end together: http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=38341

Cheers for the pointers on parts suppliers. I carry a list of Vauxhall bits around with me when I go to autojumbles, and it's about time I started carrying the same for the cq.
I've been to many autojumbles in my time - beaulieu is only down the road. Found very little!! Unless by luck you find someone who has travelled from Germany to sell their wares.....

Old 14-08-18, 07:00 AM   #9
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Koni's were worth it, but I will opt for Bilsteins next time.
My car is running the non-standard springs, so damper length was an issue.

After the rebuild, the ride was great, and as I rarely use the car, it's much more of a pleasure getting in it. Even if I do use to for a whole week.

Boge were quite fine, too, when I did the dampers in 2005/2006.

The biggest issue with the Konis wasn't really an issue- I need to get the damper stroke adjusted (it's a service process) but the guys who do it in the UK are next to uncontactable, so I'm running with a slight compromise at present.

Me being me, I like to have the same manufacturer front and rear
Old 14-08-18, 09:36 AM   #10
droopsnoot
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andya View Post
I've been to many autojumbles in my time - beaulieu is only down the road. Found very little!! Unless by luck you find someone who has travelled from Germany to sell their wares.....
Yes, I know the feeling, though I haven't been looking so much for the coupe. I did drop on a front wing a few years back, and a pair of window regulators. I've got a wheel bearing from somewhere too, and did manage to get a clutch kit at an NEC show days after the clutch had failed last time.

It's only recently that I've started work on it and would perhaps recognise any of the panels now, other than the obvious outer bodywork. Frustrating, as a local factors / scrapyard closed down recently and had loads of stuff like that, and all dirt cheap.