Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Audi badges/emblems

Old 11-06-15, 05:20 PM   #51
leggy

Anyone know how to get the boot badges off the boot lid without damaging the paint please?

AND

What's best thing for sticking them on the boot lid please?
(baring in mind that I'll be getting the boot lid resprayed next year!)

TIA
leggy
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 06:38 PM   #52
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Leggy,

I understand using a hair dryer and dental floss/fishing line does the job..see below

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ove+boot+badge

3M double sided licence plate tape is good for sticking badges back...enter 'number plate tape' into ebay/Amazon and you'll see what's available...

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 06:40 PM   #53
Coupe GT
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

They are held on with a double sided sticky foam so personally I'd opt for the old credit card slipped between the badge and body work with the aim of splitting the foam. Once the plastic is off soaking the remaining foam in sticker remover/tfr or tar remover after a while and some effort the remaining sticky mess should come off with a bit of effort. I've done this on a couple of cars with no ill effect and the badges intact.

To sick them back on I'd use the double sided tape you can get to stick number plates on, you can trim it with a craft knife and it sticks like f@"&.
Coupe GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 07:22 PM   #54
leggy

Thanks Ringmaster & Coupe GT
Will certainly give those suggestions a try, and as luck would have it, I should have some plate-tape here by next weekend; courtesy of the dealership!

[thinking: probably best to tackle the removal of old stuff from the replacement badges and get those prepared while I await the parcel, and 'before' I try to remove the old badges from the boot lid, that way, I won't be driving about badge-less and I am more likely to get the replacements positioned correctly ]
Old 11-06-15, 10:22 PM   #55
Phil Jameson
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

When im struggling to find certain badges I usually have some success with a certain ebay seller.
His Ebay user name is 'power-66'
Hope this is useful.
Phil Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-15, 03:47 PM   #56
leggy

Thanks Phil Jameson
I have seen badges from that seller, but none so far that are the same as my current set.

I'm actually amazed at how many different variations of the boot badges that there are on the secondhand market, condition aside, and for example: I've seen two different styles of 'Audi' badge and three different styles for the '2.0' badge so far... ...so you really need your wits about you when buying this stuff

Anyhow, the replacement 'Audi' & '80' badges that I've bought have both cleaned up real nice, took all of about 10mins... ...and having watched a few YT video's to see how to remove the old badges, well, it looks like a piece of cake, but I doubt it will be... ...just need to get the other badges and plate tape here, as well as a nice day to get the job done now.
Old 12-08-15, 07:06 PM   #57
leggy

Okay guys
Thought it time for an update.

So, I've now successfully replaced 3 of my 5 chrome boot lid badges, but to date I've had no luck finding a replacement 2.0 and/or E badge; this being because the badges on my boy are smaller than the ones usually found on a B4 model.

Now here's the thing, having spoken with a few members at AITP7, I now have it on good authority that the smaller badges were originally produced for the B3 models, and with my boy being quite an early B4 model, well, this would certainly explain the reason for my boot badges being smaller.

Which brings me back to my original post: if anyone is able to supply a 2.0 and/or E badge from a B3, then please PM me as soon as because the chrome on my badges is now peeling quite badly, and with the likelihood of them getting much worse over the winter, I'm very keen to get them replaced.

Cheers
leggy