Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi Ur quattro n/s/f wing repair

Old 20-11-17, 09:47 AM   #11
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Hmmmm... would you recommend one of these over the smallish 'scissor-lift' type lifts? Once the TR is out of the garage in the spring I plan to lift the Quattro, drop the suspension for refurb, and replace all the brake and fuel lines. I have all the tools except the means to elevate the car.
I have a friend that has a scissor type lift and only lifts to 1.0m max, if you have the height for a two post lift why don't you buy a two post lift they are cheaper, the single post lift dose move about bit but as I said in previous post my height in the garage is my problem.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 09:56 AM   #12
AdrianH
Grown up member

Thumbs up

Looking at the pic we have about the same ceiling height, so your type looks a good option.
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 09:42 PM   #13
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks like the start of a tidy repair as usual Colin

In typical classic-audi fashion continuing off topic...

If you have the height/space there are now "low" 2 post lifts, CJAutos do 2m posts, maxjax is even lower but the cylinder rises.

I have a mid rise, good access for brakes/engine/suspension/diff on an Audi, not so good for exhaust/fuel lines/brake lines. I have wooden ramps laid down the side so the car can drive over the lift, depends how low your car is. Pictures below give you an idea of access

I would like a flush mount full rise scissor if I had the money and ceiling height

Reasonable access and takes up no space when not in use, there are mid rise twin scissors as well, if I was buying a new mid rise this is what I would go for

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 10:03 PM   #14
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Update on the N/S/F wing repair, Monday and I had to do some work today and could only get time in the evening to work on the wing, anyway progress was made, first photo 5 tack welds to locate the repair plate.

Next, the bottom edge of the wing where it meets the bumper has a slight curve in it and a 90Deg bend to allow for the bumper fixings,

Next lost and lots of short welds to seam weld the repair plate to the bumper, if I was to run a continuous weld along the join the intense head from welding and then cooling would cause a ripple in the existing wing.

Old 20-11-17, 10:13 PM   #15
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

After all the discussion on welders, which one did you use for this?

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 10:23 PM   #16
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Andy, the last two photo's in your post with the blue RS2 on the scissor lift, that is the same as Kev's up past Dollar, only rises to 1.0m, his 1972 two door Range Rover is on it at the minuet, will pop in this week to look at the air box and of course hold you up from working.
Old 20-11-17, 10:44 PM   #17
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
After all the discussion on welders, which one did you use for this?
Well there is a question, as we discussed on the phone I was finding the TIG to be much easier to use than the MIG, but the MIG has not been working very well due to using gas less wire, so in my wisdom I decided to change the wire to mild steel wire and pipe up the Argon to the MIG, it is now working much better with a lot less splatter than the gas less wire and has a much crisper crackle to the welding, I was mulling round in my mind last night would I be able to use the TIG to do lots of little tack welds to fix the repair plate, well in the end I use the MIG and it worked out as well as I thought it would, I did run six or so runs of weld on the bench before tackling the wing on the car with the same metal as the repair plate to get my eye back in with the MIG, the TIG dose have it place and can do very nice welding on the bench but I think using it on a car where you have access problems most of the time the MIG is king.
Old 21-11-17, 08:32 PM   #18
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Photo below of rusty hole in lip of arch cut out and replaced.

All the repairs will need a little filler before painting. Photo below of the metal cut out of wing, the rusty lump at the top is underseal that was behind the largest piece, it wasn't fixed to the wing it was just sitting there holding a little water every time it rained.

Old 01-12-17, 08:43 PM   #19
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

All done and dusted, I have tried to get the reflection with cobbles in driveway, distortion is very minimal and looks better than the rust bubbles.

Old 01-12-17, 08:46 PM   #20
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Looking spot on

However those wheels are filthy

John. is offline   Reply With Quote