Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Fuel Pipes sizes from the petrol tank. B2 1983

Old 05-11-18, 07:21 PM   #11
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

J

What car have you got? Model year etc

On the vw heritage site you have to look at golf stuff or know what size pipe you have and then ring them.

It sounds to me like the pipe is too big What id pipe are you using?

The o rings on the link I did were called double ear clamps and o clips. Good place to start searching. Pirtek will have all of that. Take your original pipe along with the old filter and the new filter....
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 08:35 PM   #12
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Found a pic...

Top is feed, Bottom is return. Middle is speedo. Petrol pipe to the right is the braided sourced from heritage.

You can just see the blue barbed reducer on hte feed pipe join.

Old 06-11-18, 09:07 AM   #13
EvoMalc
Grown up member

I have used 8mm "microbore" copper central heating pipe in the past with great success.
Yes it is a bit of a pain to fit, but with care and attention you can put all the required bends in it to follow the course of the old pipes.
You can also flare the ends, like brake pipes so that by using decent clamps the rubber hoses don't pop off.
EvoMalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 06:49 PM   #14
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoMalc View Post
I have used 8mm "microbore" copper central heating pipe in the past with great success.
Yes it is a bit of a pain to fit, but with care and attention you can put all the required bends in it to follow the course of the old pipes.
You can also flare the ends, like brake pipes so that by using decent clamps the rubber hoses don't pop off.
Ohhh..I like this option, sound like a sensible option over rubber pipes! I am guessing i will need to source a pipe flaring tool, otherwise this sounds too straight forward.
jampublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 06:55 PM   #15
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
J

What car have you got? Model year etc

On the vw heritage site you have to look at golf stuff or know what size pipe you have and then ring them.

It sounds to me like the pipe is too big What id pipe are you using?

The o rings on the link I did were called double ear clamps and o clips. Good place to start searching. Pirtek will have all of that. Take your original pipe along with the old filter and the new filter....
Ok, I have a 1983 Audi 80 Sport on a A-plate, which is an 1.8i with FWD.

And i am referring to the fuel filter at the rear / under the car / on the drivers side. Just incase i didn't make this clear in my earlier posts.

I have noticed that parts do fall under shared parts with the Mk1 Golf with the same engine. ie Mk1 GTI 1.8 8v

So how do double ear clamps secure the pipe any better than a standard hose clamp? What am i missing?
Old 06-11-18, 06:59 PM   #16
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Found a pic...

Top is feed, Bottom is return. Middle is speedo. Petrol pipe to the right is the braided sourced from heritage.

You can just see the blue barbed reducer on hte feed pipe join.

Ok I see the double ear hose clamps here, I am using something like the bottom hose clamp. A tradition screw to tighten on the fuel fliter and these are blowing off.

Now the top pipe with the blue join is the pipe work I find at the rear of the car, original fuel pipe & heat treated to fit at the factory(i believe). This is the pipe work I am struggling to find and replace sucessfully.
Old 06-11-18, 07:26 PM   #17
jampublic
Grown up member

I am away from my car at the moment, but I have found an image online and it shows the plastic pipe I managed to cut..

The pipe runs from the back of the fuel filter to probably the accumulator, both ends are barb fittings requiring you to push on the pipe & then secure the a clamp around the ends of the pipe. This is where i am struggling, thank you in advance & sorry for multiple posts. Currently in Munich on bar wifi trying to figure out what i need and what i need to do when i get back in the UK and work on my car.

Last edited by jampublic; 06-11-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 10:19 PM   #18
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I now see why you are struggling. That is a factory crimped part. You could recreate it but not with jubilee clips!!! I suspect the O clips I mentioned will not cut the mustard either.

I think the the pipe you are after is 16 in the diagram below

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80.../201-36000/#16

Part number 811 201 218 B which is NLA. Last used in 87 according to ETKA. Nothing on german ebay/google under that part number. Looks like vw parts are different as the fuel tank is positioned differently. Closest is the Scirrocco. There are more than a few breaking the cars and by the looks it is fitted to all the 4 cylinder injection engines of that era.

Try a request on the classic audi facebook page. If you want original/NOS give quattro corner a ring. They might be able to dig something up.

Otherwise

When you get home take off the accumulator and filter and take them with pipe ends/fittings you have to someone like Pirtek. Make sure to tell them its high pressure. I suspect that will the cheapest fastest way to get the job done. The have the tools to recreate those crimps properly.

I waffle on...hopefully its useful and not telling you what you already know.
Old 07-11-18, 09:03 AM   #19
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampublic View Post
Pirtek - that sound like a plan.

Clamps - really those are a better option? I am using a standard pipe clip you would use on a radiator pipe. Correctly sized obviously for the 7/8mm pipe on the fuel line.

VW Hertiage - I went looking there and didn't have any luck, some suggested Audi Hertiage. But struggled with them too..

I need these obviously "double sided barbed pipe joiners"
But no doubt there is a technical term I need to figure out

Thank you for all the replies.

J
When I had my WN coupe I replaced the lines for custom braided versions with the correct ends already made up. Think it was this company but it was a long time ago.
https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/4...uel-hoses.html

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 08:10 PM   #20
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
I will have a look at this now

Quote:
Otherwise

When you get home take off the accumulator and filter and take them with pipe ends/fittings you have to someone like Pirtek. Make sure to tell them its high pressure. I suspect that will the cheapest fastest way to get the job done. The have the tools to recreate those crimps properly.
Then i will have to remove the fuel pump too & I will no doubt have the same problem again with another join in the system, when i try & reconnect the sytem

As for waffle, I am the one hijacking this thread & waffling!