Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi Coupe B2 strut brace

Old 03-11-17, 10:30 PM   #1
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Audi Coupe B2 strut brace

This weeks project, some of the higher powered Audi B3 / B4 cars have strut braces fitted as standard and in the past you could buy the weld on front strut top brackets from Audi but now they are NLA from Audi, the availability is getting less and less, on Ebay last week the two weld on brackets and strut brace bar went for £112, Audi Tradition want close to £80 just for the two weld on brackets delivered, you can see where this is going I hope, spent two hours one night measuring up the strut top on the B2 coupe and getting the sizes on to AutoCad so I could produce two paper templates to work from.

Next was to get them cut out in metal, the 'C' shape has been marked in 17 segments and if you place the 'C' shape in a vice with the top of the vice jaws alined with each crossing line of the 'C ' shape and give it a little bend, after 16 little bends the 'C' shape will become an 'O' with a conical look, after welding up the and some finishing with the grinder to remove most of the weld the top of the conical shape needs a little 4mm flat bit round the top radius, now into the bearing press, top hole in the conical shape in now about 67-68mm, place the conical shape on a used 75mm wheel bearing and pop a 100mm round alloy bearing die on top of that and give it a little press, hey-presto now the top has a 4mm flat lip. The other paper template is the bracket for the strut brace to fix to, it dose require cutting out and two M8 nuts welded to the under side before bending, welding and finishing.

The under side is under coated and painted black before fitting to give limited rust protection, yes some of the paint will burn off when welding but the majority will remain to protect the metal from rust.

In all a nice week night project, just need to fit them to the car but the strut bar will not be picket up till tomorrow ( 20mm x 20mm box section with 1.5mm thick wall ) and I can't weld the strut top plates on till the strut brace is fitted to them, the next post will show the finished strut brace. Back to cost 2mm flat plate from scrap metal bin, four M8 nuts are stock item, 1mm cutting disc x 2, Argon gas for Tig welder, 1.6mm filler rod, four M8 35mm long bolts stock item, four M8 washers stock item, 20mm x 20mm box section, what do you thing £15-£20 and keeps me out of trouble.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 10:53 PM   #2
luapkram
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Colin would the brace bar from a B4 80 fit? You are welcome to the one from the car I am going to break? Nice work 👍🏻

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
luapkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 11:05 PM   #3
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

When can I pick up.
Old 03-11-17, 11:49 PM   #4
luapkram
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I can bring it Sunday? Shall look it out in morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-17, 11:57 PM   #5
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes, if you don't mind.
Old 04-11-17, 10:25 AM   #6
luapkram
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

That’s it in the car Colin ����. Complete with original bolts. Better get off to work now! See you tomorrow

Last edited by luapkram; 04-11-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 05:46 PM   #7
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luapkram View Post
That’s it in the car Colin ����. Complete with original bolts. Better get off to work now! See you tomorrow

Thanks
Old 05-11-17, 08:24 AM   #8
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I think you threads are superb & a great source of learning for us lesser mortals

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 08:45 AM   #9
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

[quote=slacky;436010]I think you threads are superb & a great source of learning for us lesser mortals [/QUOTE

I am nothing special, some may call me an obsessed Audi owner or Audi enthusiast or perhaps, just bored and have to much time on my hands
Old 05-11-17, 10:10 AM   #10
jogi730
jogi
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice work