Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » Porter Cables

Old 29-10-07, 02:32 PM   #1
90Quattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to 90Quattro
Default Porter Cables

I'm thinking about getting one as fed up of polishing my estate by hand!! Whats the best one to buy for an begineer like me?
90Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-07, 02:42 PM   #2
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Buy the update version on the 7424 which is the UDM (Ultimate detailing Machine)

if you bought this set up from the States, then you will have nearly everything you need.
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-ult...chine-kit.html
You can't officially buy the PC or UDM in the UK due to EU rules.

Just remember, you will need a Transformer and a plug so allow an extra £40 for that as well.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-07, 02:50 PM   #3
90Quattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

cool. what products to u normaly use with them can u just use ur normal autogym super resin stuff?
Old 29-10-07, 03:45 PM   #4
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Quattro View Post
cool. what products to u normaly use with them can u just use ur normal autogym super resin stuff?
you can but it ain't the best tbh.
I use the menzerna range of polishes. Have tried Sonus, meguiars, Poorboys, Autoglym, carlack plus trade stuff and this stuff wins hands down.
The best one for VAG paint in the menzerna PO85RD3.02 which has been designed to tackle the typically hard German paint. A lot of it is also down to the correct choice of pad. The kit on that link has everything you need to set your self up to get a mirror like swirl free finish. It's then down to you to decide what waxes you want to put on top.
I'm a Dodo Juice authorised Detailer and reseller and can offer 10% discount to all Classic Audi forum members!
They do a superb range of waxes which in my book rival some of the Swissvax range which is twice as costly. I've just done a Silver Quattro Avant today and finished off with Dodo Juice and the shine is fantastic!

Of course, all that is just my opinion. You could ask 10 more detailers the same question and I guarantee that you will get 10 different answers!
One thing that won't change though is just how good the PO85RD3.02 polish is on VAG paint!
Old 16-11-07, 09:05 PM   #5
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

OK, the porter thing is like £160 or so (which I can't afford!)

I'm going to get a cheap polishing thing for Xmas off the folks, will this be better than doing it by hand?

Cheers,

Steve
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 10:56 PM   #6
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpdriver View Post
OK, the porter thing is like £160 or so (which I can't afford!)

I'm going to get a cheap polishing thing for Xmas off the folks, will this be better than doing it by hand?

Cheers,

Steve
shed loads easier than doing it by hand.
And Audi paint is hard as nails as well. You'd never get a decent finish by hand, unless you fancy spending about 5 hours on each panel!

btw. I got my PC from the states for £50 plus postage!
You need a transformer pack though as the PC is 110v.
You could by a cheaper rotary/random orbital polisher but to be fair, you're not going to achieve the best finish with it. Megiaurs are bringing out a 240v version of the PC. It was supposed to have been released last month but the date keep getting put back.
It could be worth hanging on for that to be launched in the UK.

and polish is the other important factor. VAG paint is notoriously hard. Forget any polishs by Megiuars/Autoglym etc. You need to get Menzerna PO85RD3.02. It's being specially designed to deal with the hard VAG paints. Trust me, I swear by the stuff!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish.../prod_229.html
Old 17-11-07, 09:55 AM   #7
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Here's details of the megs version.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...g_Machine.html
Old 17-11-07, 09:42 PM   #8
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

go on then, what's the difference between polish and wax?

I used to wash the A4 with Autoglym shampoo, then apply "Zymol" "cleaner" polish or wax (I can't remember) by hand, then buffed it off by hand (using the cheap costco microfibre cloths). I thought it looked shiny.

I just got the Zymol stuff cos it was in Halfords and smelt nice. I used to use Mer too which was dead easy.

I'll just get a cheap one for now, and try a decent polish and wax on the T4. My 80 doesn't really justify it, but I might do it, to keep the rust at bay.

I might post some pics of the rust on the 80 and ask for advice on the best way to treat it, or at least stop it getting worse. Not too bothered about looks for now, just want to halt the rust.

Steve
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-07, 11:15 PM   #9
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

The polish is a cutting compound and will help you get rid of some of the scratches in the paintwork. There are varying grades of polish, all with different attributes. Stuff such as Meguiars Scratch X is a very agressive polish and has the similarity of using about a 1000-1500 grit wet 'n' dry. Stuff like Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a far finer and less aggressive polish and will give and good clean shine to the paintwork.
If you use the Zymol HD Cleanser (smells like Chocolate! or the Dodo Juice Lime Prime), then that is the next step prior to applying a wax. It's basically cleaning the paint surface ready for a final coat.
Wax has no cutting properties and is added to the top to add protection and give depth and shine to your freshly polished paintwork.

One warning though, it can become addictive when you see how you transform an old tired looking car!
Old 17-11-07, 11:36 PM   #10
90Quattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

so do u apply the wax with a normal aplicator pad?? then buff off by hand??