Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » No more tax dics

Old 05-12-13, 09:33 PM   #11
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Massive saving for the DVLA, will we see any of it erm not a hope in hell

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:35 PM   #12
Phil Jameson
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Its like a few things these days.Electronic,paperless etc.Nothing material at all,a bit like music.
Notes and coins will be the next to disappear.
Car club newsletters are or have gone that way to.Not neccesarily for the better,but its all a money saving issue.
I wonder how the world survived all these years????
Phil Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:50 PM   #13
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
it will all be done electronically.

One of our major customers (Enterprise rent-a-car) have been working on this project with the DVLA for just over a year now and it works well. They have a fleet of 73,000 cars and getting a refund on tax discs was an enormous undertaking on a monthly basis for the DVLA as it was anywhere from 4000-7000 refunds processed a month. The process now is so much easier and far more streamlined.
we have a lot of dealings with the DVLA and I have to say, up until recently, they were the most archaic concerns within the UK and so much of it could have been moved over to electronic rather than face to face years ago.
I have 65 sets of trade plates and I used to have to go to our local DVLA office and sit and wait in the queue and then go back a week later and hope that someone had handwritten them all. Now it's centralised, I pay by BACS and the new discs are sent out a few days later in the post printed off a machine and not handwritten! Until June this year, they still used to hand write everything!
I guess at least doing it electronically might mean you can leave a car taxed right up to the end of the month. Sending one in the post has always been a little bit of a gamble, if, for whatever reason, it doesn't arrive with them till the first of the month rather than on or before the last day of the preceding month in which you posted it, you end up losing a whole months worth of refund.
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:36 PM   #14
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Well, who's got any suggestions as to what we should put in the soon to be vacant bottom left hand corner of our windscreens?

It just won't look right without something there, may I suggest this?

lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:46 PM   #15
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

I think V.E.D. should be scrapped altogether and replaced with an increase on fuel duty.

No more nonsense about paying according to CO2 emissions, exemptions for classics, weekend drivers paying the same as daily drivers etc, just the more fuel you burn, the more you pay.

Don't all shoot me at once.......
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 10:48 PM   #16
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
I think V.E.D. should be scrapped altogether and replaced with an increase on fuel duty.

No more nonsense about paying according to CO2 emissions, exemptions for classics, weekend drivers paying the same as daily drivers etc, just the more fuel you burn, the more you pay.

Don't all shoot me at once.......
totally agree to be honest, if we weren't already taxed enough at the pump as it is!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 11:10 PM   #17
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

The Chancellor hasn't asked me to do the maths yet, but maybe just a few pennies a litre would be needed.....................hmmmmmmmmm
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 11:48 PM   #18
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

I think the present system is shyte myself,what with losing money if you tax a car half way through the month and also if you cash a 6 month tax disc in having to pay £20 for the pleasure

If they do this new system right you would be able to pay for the remaining days in the month not for the previous time you havn't even had the car on the road.

In new zealand you can(or at least when i was there 6 or 7 years ago) tax a car for between 1 and 365 days,and from memory it was dirt cheap aswell.

But yes as mentioned above it would be best if road tax was binned altogether and just absorbed into cost of fuel.
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 01:06 AM   #19
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthooker View Post
Well, who's got any suggestions as to what we should put in the soon to be vacant bottom left hand corner of our windscreens?

It just won't look right without something there, may I suggest this?

Old 06-12-13, 01:06 AM   #20
quattrokid
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Since the treasury takes about 45 BILLION quid a year from VED ... that's some increase on fuel IF VED was binned altogether and the driver is taxed on how much fuel he/ she needs to purchase throughout the year !!!!!

I suspect a revamp on emissions will soon come along since so many small cars with very little tax is now running around our roads and as cars become even more fugal at the pumps, the treasury must be loosing a wedge per year just from the sale of little engined city cars !

UrWR SOLD
UrS4 saloon (SOLD again)
S4 Cabrio (SOLD)
A4 cabrio 2.5 V6tdi (SOLD)
80 cabrio 2.6 V6 SOLD
90 quattro 10v SOLD
100 2.2e SOLD

FOUNDING MEMBER the 200,000 Plus miles Club
quattrokid is offline   Reply With Quote