Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Vulcan XH558

Old 13-10-15, 02:56 PM   #1
leggy

Arrow Vulcan XH558

As some of you may or may not know, Vulcan XH558 took part in a 'Farewell flight' tour of the UK over the weekend, flying over Northern UK on Saturday (10th October) and then Southern UK on Sunday (11th October). She flew a total of 8.5 hours in all, her longest flight/s to date, routes that enabled her to fly over the many companies that have played a part in her existence, both past and present, as well as giving many people the opportunity to see her one last time before she is grounded at the end of this month.

My own story of Vulcan XH558 started way back in 2007, when the company whom I worked for were approached and asked to make covers for her cockpit and wheels. My own role was to order the screen printed letters that were later sewn on to the covers. Since this time, I've been informed of various happenings during her restoration, including applications for her initial test flight and her very first flying permit, and I've spent many an hour researching her history and suchlike, but I didn't actually get see her in flight until recently, on Sunday 4th October in fact, this being on her way home from her last ever airshow appearances at Gaydon and Old Warden, and I have to say, she is one of the most remarkable and most unique examples of historic and British aviation that I have ever seen, it was absolutely amazing to see her flying so low and so gracefully, and that 'howl' of her engines, well, once heard, it's certainly something that you don't forget easily!

Unfortunately, despite several days of planning, and in also having traveled a fair distance to enable a good viewing of her again on Sunday (11th), she detoured from the planned flight route without any prior warning, so I missed her, which brings me to my reason for starting this post...
Did any of you plane enthusiasts/spotters or even Vulcan XH558 supporters see her over the weekend?
Perhaps you've seen her previously and would like to share your experience?
I'd certainly love to hear your stories, and of course, everyone here loves a good photo, so please do share any that you might have.

Thanks
leggy

Last edited by leggy; 24-10-15 at 11:22 AM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 04:01 PM   #2
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

I saw her fly over RAF Cosford on Saturday

seen her fly at the Cosford Air Show as well for the past few years.

She flew again today from Finningley
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 04:04 PM   #3
a1quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The Vulcan sure is an awsume sight and the sound is so immence it brings tears of emotion , the power and the glory just mind blowing
a1quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 04:37 PM   #4
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Seen her several times this year inc Fairford , waddington last year and other places . We went out to see her too at the weekend as we live 200 yds from the turning point in the fields at mosborough but she got diverted , I was surprised at how many were gathered there , thd lanes were blocked with cars and there was hundreds and hundreds stood out there , we only saw her as a feint shape in the distance circling to land over donnington church as she approached Doncaster
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 04:46 PM   #5
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

when we went to see her Saturday, we parked up on the back road of RAF Cosford. It's nice and open and slightly elevated so you get a good sight. When we parked up, it was like that scene from Close Encounters where everyone stops their cars and get out to look at the spaceship!!!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 05:00 PM   #6
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

It was very surreal up the back lane , we use notams and the red arrows were due over one day and no one was about , gif the Vulcan it was rammed and quite a carnival atmosphere
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 05:17 PM   #7
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think its a natinal disgrace that the reason being given for the retirement is a lack of technical knowledge and trained techs to keep it flying, in Britain of all places.

Another fantastic aircraft that should never have been killed off is of course the Concorde, shame on all those who allow this sort of thing to happen.

Long live the Vulcan and Concorde.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 05:25 PM   #8
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Well i never got to see her and feel quite sad now I didn't venture out looking for a needle in a haystack,sadly i just don't live close enough to where she normally flies.If i did i would have know about it. Spitfires over my house is a regular occurrence and has been for the last 30 plus years so spoilt on that front,Northolt is probably only 3 minutes flying time for the Spit. I was decorating a bungalow in Riuslip woods 2 weeks ago and the unmistakable noise of merlins above could be heard and seen once i stepped outside. Hell Concorde has flown over my house a few times!

Guess i will just have to be content remembering one summers day back in 1982 aged 16 whilst in a field fishing near Rhuddlan North Wales. All of a sudden i could here the most almighty roar coming from behind me. I looked round and 2 Vulcans slowly drew closer and flew straight over head one after the other.Were they 1000 ft up i doubt it seamed more like 500 ft max.A cherished memory!

I sincerely hope she gets to fly again.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 05:38 PM   #9
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
I think its a natinal disgrace that the reason being given for the retirement is a lack of technical knowledge and trained techs to keep it flying, in Britain of all places.

Another fantastic aircraft that should never have been killed off is of course the Concorde, shame on all those who allow this sort of thing to happen.

Long live the Vulcan and Concorde.
Well said!

Yet they still like to call it Great Britain.Who the hell are they kidding, .. .. The only thing that seams to matter to many people today is their property portfolios. They have plenty to invest in that but not it seams stuff for the good of the nation and the many. Quite agree, Shame on them and those who can see no longer see further than their own upturned noses!
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 05:48 PM   #10
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
I saw her fly over RAF Cosford on Saturday

seen her fly at the Cosford Air Show as well for the past few years.

She flew again today from Finningley
Yeh, just received a newletter about today stating:

"Flight today honours our summer raffle winners
Earlier today, XH558 took off on a flight to Northamptonshire to honour the prizes offered in the Summer Raffle, two winners of which were to fly next to XH558 either in a Spitfire or a Blades Extra 300 aerobatic aircraft. We will have a full report on this day in Friday’s newsletter."

Yet another missed opportunity; it wasnt mentioned in the previous newletter, nor have I heard/seen her today, truly gutted!
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote