Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Replacing a heater matrix on a B4

Old 05-09-08, 10:56 PM   #1
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Replacing a heater matrix on a B4

I suspect my heater matrix in my 1995 80 Avant is leaking as when ever the heater knob is off the cold I notice a drop in the level of coolant in the expansion tank. As a result I don't use the heater at all, but rather than face a winter in a freezing cold car I'd like to know how to renew it.

I've heard that its a 8 hour 'dash out' job but the mechanic that changed the matrix in my old B4 Coupe a few years ago did the job in 3 hours? He initially told me it was a big job & would take about 7 hours & hence would charge 150.00 (dodgy garage that I won't be going back to). He did the job in less than half the time but still charged me for 7 hours labour!

Any help on how to fit it would be much appreciated.
Audiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 11:36 PM   #2
msh
4 ring whore!

If u have simple heater, temperature knob didn't change coolant flow in heater at all It only moves temperature flap in heater
If u don't like labour prices in UK , then get some tools and change by yourself Tools needed - 24mm wrench for steering wheel, 8mm wrench for many bolts in dashboard, 10mm wrench for heater bolts, and screwdriver At last in original german cars

Do u want complete description, how to do that?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:43 AM   #3
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

This is for an Air-con S2

http://www.ctcferrovie.co.uk/quattro...xpictorial.pdf
Old 06-09-08, 08:11 AM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

I can't agree with some things from that text. First of all - it doesn't care, how steering wheel is standing - to unscrew it, best way is lock wheel by removing igniton key, and then turn until it locks. When u place wheel back in place, just put wheel on, and then drive a little bit, to place wheel precisely Second - the way, how author of this text removed light switches, are dumb - u don't need unscrew theese two bolts - just release the one, which are holding switches, then pull switches away and unplug connectors And second - I don't think that for air con removing is neccessary - I don't have experience like that, but i was ready change heater's matrix on neighbour car by detaching main part of heater [where is matrix located] from blower's part [where is air con radiator located] - there is only six clamps holding that two parts together - I think, it's no easy, but not impossible Maybe I'm wrong
Old 14-09-08, 08:44 AM   #5
kully
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Send a message via MSN to kully

for 150 pound to remove your dash and refit it all together properly is not a bad price i did mine my self wish i had someone to do it so cheap
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-08, 10:29 PM   #6
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

Oops... forgotten that I had placed this post!

Thank-you to all who have responded.

Anyway looks a tedious job to do so I think I'll live with the coolant loss & wait till it gets worse - it might not even be the matrix as there are no tell tale signs inside the car at the moment... Not really a fan of 'Radweld' or the like - read too many horror stories - but maybe I should give it a bash?

The 150.00 charge doesn't seem bad at all considering the lengths that are required to change the matrix - even more remarkable that the guy did the entire job in 3 hours... the matrix was definately leaking in my old Coupe & he replaced various dash bulbs too.
Old 16-09-08, 10:36 PM   #7
msh
4 ring whore!

Think about like that - if it is hater matrix, it may just end in one moment - u will get car full of steam and u will be forced to use trailer - because there will be no coolant in cooling system. Or, if it's water pump, which is leaking, there will be something similar.

U can just check - get little piece of steal pipe, with diameter suitable for heater's hoses, and disconnect hoses from matrix and connect them together, using piece of pipe and clamps Then u will see, there will be coolant leak or not. I did that year ago, when I drived for some days without dashboard and heater
Old 22-09-08, 10:09 PM   #8
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
U can just check - get little piece of steal pipe, with diameter suitable for heater's hoses, and disconnect hoses from matrix and connect them together, using piece of pipe and clamps Then u will see, there will be coolant leak or not. I did that year ago, when I drived for some days without dashboard and heater
I had to do that once on a Cavalier (Vectra A) I used to own. I parked up outside my home after a 30 mile drive & coolant started gushing out of one of the heater matrix pipes. A short length of copper pipe cured the leak once and... for ever. Thank goodness for heated seats!

Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 22-09-08, 10:15 PM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Muah

Yesterday I, btw, changed heater's matrix on one B4 - nothing special, of course... Biggest problem was my sickness - when I started to reassemble dashboard, my temperature begin to rise, result - lack of interest to finish work But I did it anyway Conclusion - on B4 there is some bolts a little bit different than on B3, but anyway, nothing special