Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » ur quattro fuel tank

Old 22-02-19, 09:43 AM   #11
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks. I tried again last night but just can't get the return pipe to open. Haven't tried an airline yet (don't have one) but a piece of wire just stops after a certain distance.

Also, I think the filter inside the tank that you can see through the hole is on the return pipe, with the outlet under the plate on the bottom of the tank.
Can anyone confirm?
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 11:57 AM   #12
oliverjl
Grown up member

I cleaned mine out using the Bilthammer stuff and it did a fantastic job. First though I removed the soldered on plate on the base of the tank and took out an incredible amount of rusty crud. I left it for a couple of days with the bilthammer stuff in, used boiling water and kept it warm with a plug in kettle element type item, I siliconed the plate back on (and put a strap around the tank to hold it) so I could rotate the tank. Was a bit of a pain but came out like new. Afterwards I dried it out with a hairdryer and then just swilled it all inside with WD40.
oliverjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 02:14 PM   #13
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

I don't have a soldered on plate, so can't access the inside of the tank!
I've also confirmed that the filter"bag" I can see through the level sender hole is for the return fuel-the fuel itself is pumped out from under the big plate I can see through the sender hole.
I'm still stuck with not being able to get anything through the return pipe, and not knowing why.
It's tempting to rip the filter bag out and see what's at the end of the return pipe inside the tank...I'm beginning to think it is a simple flap that is rusted/petrol gunk closed.
Old 23-02-19, 02:39 PM   #14
oliverjl
Grown up member

So your tank doesn’t look like this on the bottom?
Old 23-02-19, 03:59 PM   #15
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Ah. Now that looks suspiciously like the bottom half of a tank that's been cut open!
Mine does look like that, but I am not going to cut it open to get to the bits... Thats beyond my welding back up capabilities!
( emoji of some terrible welding )
Old 23-02-19, 04:43 PM   #16
oliverjl
Grown up member

Default ur quattro fuel tank

Thats not my tank, thats just a photo of one I found but mine was the same. The piece is soldered on not welded and Im absolutely certain it was done at the factory (although its pretty Heath Robinson...). Theres no other way you can clean out that area and de-gunk the pipes, it looks like the internal end of the outlet pipe originally had a metal gauze filter over it that just disintegrates. With a blow lamp you can just remove the plate and then solder it back on when clean, I got a guy who does radiators to do mine for me. It was Roger Galvin who told me to cut it open, and once Id done it it was obvious why he told me this!! He did a friend of mines Quattro a year or so ago and actually cut the tank in half around the seam, I didnt want to be that drastic.
Old 23-02-19, 08:54 PM   #17
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

The picture you used is the same tank style As mine-there is no soldered on panel. The two outside halves of the tank are formed from a single pressing, then the pipes are fitted, then a plate is welded/soldered (idk which as it is on the inside) over the outlet pipe. This means that the tank can have one litre in it and hat litre can still be accessed even if you are on a hill.
There is no way to access the plate, as it is attached in the inside not the outside. Splitting the seam is the only way to get to it.

Perhaps yours was an early version?
Old 24-02-19, 08:25 PM   #18
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Ur Quattro on Ebay item 223417754524
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 10:18 AM   #19
oliverjl
Grown up member

They must be slightly different then, mine is an ‘88 MB. This picture (not my tank) is the same as mine, if you look closely you can see there is a soldered on square panel on the bottom, it looks like the eBay one doesn’t have this either. Having removed that panel and seen how the tank is put together I don’t see how you could possibly clean out that area without cutting the tank.
Old 25-02-19, 10:30 AM   #20
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Did your semi-removable panel look original? I can easily believe a third party cut out that panel to access the insides, cleaned it, then soldered it back together once before you had it. These cars are 30 years old so having the thing cleaned twice is not beyond possible!