Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » no papers/v5/logbook info ?

Old 20-08-18, 08:10 PM   #1
maurice.walsh
Grown up member

Default no papers/v5/logbook info ?

as some of you know , ive sold the iltis project, the new owner wanted it at the stage i got it to and good luck to him with the few bits left to do, but,,, im now hunting ( in brazil) for the next car, BUT for the future , i now have a man in romania with a few cars of rare note, the only rub is no papers, after the fall of Ceaușescu , a lot of commie era paperwork was burned/lost, but then the new crowd unreg'ed lots of old cars that were not on the road for years/hidden away/taken from "party" people etc etc, official (headed and stamped and interpol'ed) paperwork can be got to verify the cars (police and gov official) are what they are, year, model etc and NOT stolen, hence interpol thing, here in ireland the redtape is so over the top it makes getting one or more of these cars not worth the effort , so, what im looking for is... someone here with the info as to if i can reg one of these cars in the uk without the logbook but with just the info stated above, most of the cars im looking at are 50s/40s/30s and quite rare and worth saving
maurice.walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 08:17 PM   #2
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As an import with no previous DVLA contact or UK history to lay claim to, I'd think it extremely unlikely.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 08:30 PM   #3
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Are the cars so obscure they wouldn't have any other way of verifying what they are or when they were made? Without a log book / registration certificate it used to be the DVLA would accept other information corroborated / verified by a recognised owners club or the like. I would think in theory it would be possible, in the UK at least. Whether you could have any of them on an age specific plate with an mot or tax exemption etc... that might be another matter! Is there any recourse approaching any of the manufacturers ( prob absorbed into other companies back in the mist of time i guess?). Having said that might only be things you could do after taking the plunge...!
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 08:41 PM   #4
Minty
Classic Audi Club Member

Try this link & see if it turns up anything useful:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
1986 GT 2.0 Tornado Red - long gone
2001 A6 2.4 V6 - exported to Ireland
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-18, 10:19 PM   #5
maurice.walsh
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
Are the cars so obscure they wouldn't have any other way of verifying what they are or when they were made? Without a log book / registration certificate it used to be the DVLA would accept other information corroborated / verified by a recognised owners club or the like. I would think in theory it would be possible, in the UK at least. Whether you could have any of them on an age specific plate with an mot or tax exemption etc... that might be another matter! Is there any recourse approaching any of the manufacturers ( prob absorbed into other companies back in the mist of time i guess?). Having said that might only be things you could do after taking the plunge...!
none so obscure that sizeable OC's do not exist, chassis numbers/date plates are present and can be used i assume, some makes have been subsumed or no longer exist but all are known european names, wanderer/dkw (auto union/audi), steyr (austrian) , miaco (german), nothing too unknown yet lost to time, behind a wall long gone, as i said official paperwork can be got to support the cars, just not a new logbook/ reg doc, the people with these cars , while try'n to get government to listen/do something so that these cars are not lost out of their country, rather than see them rot away, are selling them quite cheaply to have them saved/restored, my contact is not a business but is a collector and has a few cars with papers , mostly vw beetles, and some his father got back in the day for restoration that have sat in a shed/garage for quite a long time

Last edited by maurice.walsh; 20-08-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 20-08-18, 11:19 PM   #6
maurice.walsh
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Try this link & see if it turns up anything useful:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
thanks minty, ive studied this and it looks like it might not be a huge problem if i get a lot of paperwork in place before importing, the biggest problem now could be post brexit rule changes if i cant afford to do this before brexit happens
Old 21-08-18, 07:28 AM   #7
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice.walsh View Post
it looks like it might not be a huge problem if i get a lot of paperwork in place before importing, the biggest problem now could be post brexit rule changes
This. The more paperwork the better, you just have to cover all the bases. If the cars are models that already exist in numbers on British roads, can be put into a manufacturing sequence of other similar cars and you have a lot of other paper work proving why the proper registation cannot be provided you should be on the right track. Its bureaucracy all the way with the DVLA.
Old 21-08-18, 07:40 AM   #8
maurice.walsh
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
This. The more paperwork the better, you just have to cover all the bases. If the cars are models that already exist in numbers on British roads, can be put into a manufacturing sequence of other similar cars and you have a lot of other paper work proving why the proper registation cannot be provided you should be on the right track. Its bureaucracy all the way with the DVLA.
there in lies the problem, how many 1940 wanderer w24 are on the road in uk? or 1939 steyr 55 ? i dont think i would have a sequence of cars to reference from, you think dvla is bad ! , try the system here
Old 21-08-18, 07:45 AM   #9
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Just with you saying they were mainly Beetles!! You may be able to get Wanderer records from Audi? There is a link letting you buy manufacturers records on Audi Tradition?