Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Audi sport & history » David Sutton Motorsport workshop from the eighties

Old 04-10-10, 09:25 PM   #21
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
so whats the reason for the Isle of Man registration plates on the Sutton cars ?
Type approval.
Old 04-10-10, 10:09 PM   #22
hansport
RayBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
so whats the reason for the Isle of Man registration plates on the Sutton cars ?
You may well find that it was for careful tax planning!
hansport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 10:27 AM   #23
Groundhog
Grown up member

There is no MOT test on the island so any cars registered there do not need an MOT

It is not unusual to find a rally car on public roads. Clearly road rally prep cars are often someone’s daily anyway but even out and out rally cars like the quattro’s were driven on public roads – we drove them regularly on roads when prepping them. I remember one time we had only finished a rebuild on the sport the day before a race and to get some miles on it we drove it to Scotland from Daventry sandwiched between other vans and trailers. We had to do it in relay swopping drivers at every service station. We were then able to complete setting it up overnight for racing early the next morning.
Lesser cars could often be MOT’d it was really only the handbrake that was an issue but we did know an ‘understanding’ MOT station
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 10:44 AM   #24
MadderThanMax
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I feel I should really know what is going on and feel guilty I don’t. Strange actually as not to long ago I was chatting with John O’Conner (Sootys right hand man) and a couple of the guys we worked with back then and we commented how those days are a blur and how we rely on the enthusiasts like you guys to keep reminding us what we were doing and when.

Oh there were always plenty of shells in various stages of build- just in case- and not forgeting they were available for purchase. For sure there was a period when 44 WMN changed colours almost on a monthly basis.

As for pics of the cars in the workshop David Sutton did not like people taking pictures which is why there are probably so few. Clearly it had to be accepted that things went on with the cars between races that could not be risked being leaked out, not quite formula one secrecy but none the less...you get the picture.

I'm pretty certain that this.......(or the one next to it)

.......was to replace this.......

Bad New Chaps! I've just shot my load .... the rear end of that silver Quattro just did it for me... I'm off to clean up...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 12:33 PM   #25
mint10valver
Grown up member

When John O'C rebuilt the S1 E2 Olympus car, he told me he took it up the M1 for a couple of junctions early one morning to get some miles on it.

One can only imagine the sight...
mint10valver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 12:43 PM   #26
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

those were the days as they say...
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:24 PM   #27
AAN 5pot
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint10valver View Post
When John O'C rebuilt the S1 E2 Olympus car, he told me he took it up the M1 for a couple of junctions early one morning to get some miles on it.

One can only imagine the sight...
and the sound OMG
AAN 5pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:31 PM   #28
mint10valver
Grown up member

I just have visions of the reps venturing north bleary eyed to their appointments when the John stormed up behind. Can you imagine the sight in your rear view mirror of a Sport quattro S1 at full chat with John in boiler suit 'making adjustments' to boost...

mint10valver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:45 PM   #29
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

I asked Sooty the same question at last years qoc AGM. He said.........back in the 80's you could not get type approval on any left hand drive car in the UK. So in order to obtain motor vehicle taxation, the cars were registered, in the Isle Of Man, through the one and only V.A.G concessionaire on the island. In order to remain on Manx plates they had to be registered, continually, to an address on the island. If you look at Preeces Group A car, it is no longer actually registered as MAN 44A. It lost the right to that number years ago due to the then owners not keeping up with the address on the island bit.......And if you look at the photocopied tax disc he has in the window.........................................:lo l: it tells the whole truth. 44 XMN is now on a car running around the Island yet again..
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 07:49 PM   #30
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

LOL
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote