Old 09-06-18, 02:38 AM   #141
Kenquattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Kenquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 09:52 AM   #142
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

When you compare it to examples like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Coup...MAAOSwbM5a3KbF it really is a no-brainer.

That one I would be trying to fix for the next 10 years probably.

This one I just turn the keys and enjoy. Should hopefully retain its value too.
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 11:15 AM   #143
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I've set it up to be as reliable as it can be so it'll be a turn key car.
When it comes to long term practicality, nothing destroys a cars utility (and future) like unreliability.
When it becomes unreliable then it's a big step nearer the scrappie.
Value long term should, at least, stay the same, with the cosmetics professionally addressed it'd be worth a good bit more.
Just about every other Coupe up for sale has some combination of long term mechanical neglect/issues or serious cosmetic issues ongoing.

I can't understand a listing which says 'just needs this done, it's an easy job and look here are the parts!' In that case just fecking do it, you are fooling nobody!

Rant over

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 12:09 PM   #144
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi80fan View Post
When you compare it to examples like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Coup...MAAOSwbM5a3KbF it really is a no-brainer.
.....yup, no brainer.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 12:32 PM   #145
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
I can't understand a listing which says 'just needs this done, it's an easy job and look here are the parts!'

Very true. I guess not everyone is as skilled as you Duffy (myself included ), whilst some I agree are blatantly just having a laugh.

I personally have no time or desire to work on an engine or brakes for example, and would probably mess it up too based on my past performances

Put it this way, very pleased someone as methodical and conscientious as yourself has done the work on the white one
Old 11-06-18, 11:14 AM   #146
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I understand that, especially with bigger jobs, but just state it needs done and price appropriately or do it. A halfway house does nothing.

Anyway.....

1. Wiper motor on and doing what it should, arms previously painted and new wiper blades on.
2. Doors adjusted, the nearside door had a replacement lower hinge and had been adjusted (if at all) badly. The door retainer had been adjusted downwards to meet the badly adjusted door, that's the cart before the horse. The bottom bolt on the retainer was completely rounded off so to had to be drilled off, the retainer moved and a new screw in place, doors now sitting where it should be.
I'm used to adjusting windows on Boxsters and the test there involves a bit of A4 between the window and the seal, if the paper doesn't move when pulled it's right, same test applied here.
3. Had the car out for a clean under the bonnet with APC and a toothbrush, umpty tump years of green mould cleaned off!

4. Whilst the hose was out confidently had a good spray at my leak repairs. Pride does indeed come before a fall! The boots still getting wet, this time at the bottom of the offside light cluster. Popped it out (with some difficulty as it was well glued in place) and the sealing tape is shot, new stuff in the post and that'll be that.

5. Reversing lights weren't working, the connector to the gearbox was gummed up, cleaned and operational.

MOT booked for Wednesday.

Last edited by Duffy3074; 11-06-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 11:56 AM   #147
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
..The door retainer had been adjusted downwards to meet the badly adjusted door, that's the cart before the horse. .
oh dear. Yes, that was a bad move.
Old 13-06-18, 07:44 AM   #148
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
MOT booked for Wednesday.
Big day today!
Old 13-06-18, 07:57 AM   #149
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There now, just had several laps around the town, good rattle from the back shelf and there’s a mid range flat spot that the injector cleaner and fresh petrol should resolve.

Other than that feels fine, stiffer shocks are a big improvement over my 90.
Old 13-06-18, 09:23 AM   #150
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Smugetty smug smug!

Clean pass, no advisories

It runs better than my 90 does, which is both interesting and disappointing, throttle response is better, my 90 feels slow to spin up and to slow down, it feels as if the flywheels twice the weight.

My exhaust is too loud as this still sounds decent on a standard system.

It turns in better, steering feel is better and body roll/overall control is much better.

It's only done 300 miles in 2 years so needs a few longer runs to blow the fuel system through, there's a slight knock from the offside front which is the wishbone inner bushes as they feel soft when levered (I've got some Meyle HD ones in the post, ordered yesterday)
a couple of rattles to chase down and a few 'testing drives' thereafter.

Last edited by Duffy3074; 13-06-18 at 09:29 AM.