Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Electric to Manual Window Conversion on 1984 Coupe GT

Old 20-06-15, 06:57 AM   #1
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Question Electric to Manual Window Conversion on 1984 Coupe GT

Has anyone ever changed from electric to manually operated windows ? If so, I'd be extremely grateful for some pointers as my old green machine has one non-operational side window with the other intermittent. Replacement electric mechanisms are scarce so I was wondering how I could go about this modification.
jameshbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 07:18 AM   #2
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If you really want to it's as simple as swapping the window mechanisms over and drill a hole in the door card.
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-15, 12:57 PM   #3
msh
4 ring whore!

Replacement mechanisms or replacement car? Even if we would presume that your mechanisms aren't repairable [which isn't true], how do you know that the problem isn't in wiring, for example, broken wires between doors and car?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 09:32 AM   #4
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Default Electric Windows - back on the case .....

Back on the case now that she's operational again - electric windows: can anyone out there point me at a pair of re-conditioned control units OR a set of parts to convert them both to manual operation ? Obviously, I'd like to stick to electric if possible.
Old 09-03-17, 10:58 AM   #5
msh
4 ring whore!

What's wrong with your current one? Not working at all? Window cable broken? Plastic parts at the end of cables broken?

Window mechanisms are rather easy to work on, just needs some basic tools, angle grinder and electric drill. As long as those two plastic parts are fine, repair costs are pennies, if at all, if they are broken, then some mechanism has to be cannibalized for parts.

Last year I made one power window mechanism for my mk2 golf from original manual + B3 audi window motor [basically the same thing as should be in golf] - just one, because I'm too lazy to finish my power window conversion
Old 12-03-17, 02:08 PM   #6
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Passenger side is sluggish / intermittent - I try not to open it in case it doesn't close again.

Driver's side doesn't move at all - voltmeter reading dips with button depression so assuming presence of a motor winding but jammed mechanism.
Old 12-03-17, 02:31 PM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Electric to Manual Window Conversion on 1984 Coupe GT

Bad electrical connections can result in sufficient resistance in the connection that will result in an electrical load without the motor turning.
Damage caused by body shops (one bunch literally chopped through the cables in my quattro to replace a door, and used badly crimped bullet crimps.)

Badly reconnected connectors- some multipin connectors have moisture seals which make pushing the connectors together difficult. Some have removed the seal, thus allowing moisture and corrosion on the pins. Simple Verdigris affecting the connections.

Motor jammed? Again, moisture could affect the internals of the motor. It's far from unheard of, and may simply require opening the motor case, cleaning it all up/servicing.

Cable spool/pulley damaged/cable jumped? The system works on a cable being wound around a loop. There is what looks like a plastic spider as part of the 'gearbox' attached to the motor. The spider can crack with age, causing the mechanism to bind when the motor applies tension.

If you have evidence of an electrical load, then it really is worth looking at the mechanism more closely before abandoning it.

A little pic-

Last edited by Hanuman; 12-03-17 at 02:38 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 08:55 PM   #8
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes, could simply be the mechanism.

For what it's worth, try spraying the mechanism with electrical contact cleaner solution.

A good liberal saturation and leave to soak, then see how they perform. Worked for me.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 09:46 PM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshbond007 View Post
Passenger side is sluggish / intermittent - I try not to open it in case it doesn't close again.

Driver's side doesn't move at all - voltmeter reading dips with button depression so assuming presence of a motor winding but jammed mechanism.
Just remove both mechanisms and take them apart. It's a very simple thing - few bolts are holding reductor together, either phillips head bolts, or torx bolts, and two are holding motor casing to the reductor. Inside of the reductor you'll likely found some old grease with consistency of a glue - inside motor, probably some rust. After greasing, putting it together, it will be a bit tricky to put cable and it's roller back, as the cable has to be preloaded [both springs are in compressed state] ; I usually put one side in place and use small wrench to force the other spring in place, the room allows this. If you, upon disassembly/removal find broken white plastic bits that are at the end of springs, or broken cable, then it needs to be repaired.

You have nothing to lose anyway; some stick will keep window in place just as well as broken mechanism...
Old 30-06-17, 08:45 AM   #10
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Many thanks for all of the advice (more than one source) on this subject. I've got the regulators out and am building up the courage to start dismantling (week-end task). Wish me luck ......