Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Is it swearing to ask a VW question?

Old 17-12-13, 10:57 PM   #1
ChrisCapes
Newbie!

Default Is it swearing to ask a VW question?

I've bought a mk2 Golf GTi 8v to keep me busy until the right Audi 100/200 pops up for me to buy, but it has a weird mis-fire which has me stumped!

I've fitted a new fuel lifter pump, checked the timing and dizzy, fitted new leads, plugs cap... fitted a new fuel pressure/vacuum valve AND now have the air flow valve joby that sits above the rocker cover sitting in thinners as per another recommendation. Not much left to replace!!

Scenario is this, car idles smooth as silk on the drive, no issue starting when hot or stone cold. Put it in reverse and she puts up a fight but moves, put it in drive and just keeps cutting out.
I've ran it up on axle stands into 1st and it jerks as if mis-firing.
I've checked compressions and all are giving high even figures.

Have I missed something really obvious to replace??

Any help greatly appreciated as getting it in the ear for parking junk that doesn't work on the drive.

Cheers
Chris.
ChrisCapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-13, 11:02 PM   #2
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Have you checked/ replaced the rotor arm?
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-13, 11:12 PM   #3
ChrisCapes
Newbie!

Thanks for the reply lefthooker.

Its been replaced but these days you can't rule out the new part still being faulty.
If the rotor arm was toast, would the engine still idle as I would have thought it wouldn't run at all if it was the culprit.
Old 17-12-13, 11:39 PM   #4
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCapes View Post
If the rotor arm was toast, would the engine still idle as I would have thought it wouldn't run at all if it was the culprit.
It depends on how a rotor arm has failed or is faulty.
Old 18-12-13, 09:56 AM   #5
ChrisCapes
Newbie!

Ok, Ill pull the arm out and have another look tonight to see if its tracking out etc, hope your right as would make my day getting it back on the road before Xmas.

Have also been advised it could be related to Vac pipes so ill be checking those out too... I know when I find the fault it will probably be a 10p item 2min fix!

Cheers.
Old 18-12-13, 02:07 PM   #6
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Vac pipes can give problems on the Audi's and is usually the first thing to check when they're running badly, so I imagine the VW will be similar given that it runs on K-Jet.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Old 30-05-17, 03:06 PM   #7
ChrisCapes
Newbie!

Default Solved the issue

Popping back to the site for other reasons and realised I never followed up on this thread.

Everyone's suggestions were fully validated and I let "My mate" take lead on this one and so we went down the route of rip out and replace

Anyhoo, a few "words" later I was left on my own looking at the car wondering what on earth was the problem. Eventually I went back to basics. Power/Spark/Earths/Fuel. I had all of these, and so as I was leant over the engine bay with the light wand looking at Vac pipes again I touched the two wires that enter the injector rail and the car cut out. I started the car again and nudged wires, car cut out.

The problem in the end was one of the wires had snapped at the plug end and was hidden by the rubber boot. So everytime the car rocked the circuit would break!! an £FOC solution using an old Lamba sensor plug got the car working again.

I concluded two things:
Never trust a friend with lesser knowledge than you to take lead
Always rule out the £free basics before spending money.

Anyway, car is sold and am putting toe in water for an Audi 100