Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Audi Coupe GT suspension recommendations

Old 26-08-18, 01:56 PM   #1
Richi95
Grown up member

Default Audi Coupe GT suspension recommendations

Hi guys,

My Coupe has been running Bilstein b4 shocks with H&R 45 lowering springs for a while and I have been meaning to change them. At the moment the rears can bottom a bit when loaded. The car also still sways a little bit and I was after something a little stiffer. Was wondering what other people have gone for? I was thinking maybe bilstein b8 shocks with the same h&r springs.
Any one got any experience or recommendations?

Thanks
Richi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 11:30 PM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Bilstein b4 shocks with H&R 45 lowering springs???? I think the Bilstein B4 shocks are standard and should not be fitted with lowered coil springs, I have H&R coils on my B2 coupe with Koni's all round, yes that can be set up quite hard for track work but reducing the rebound setting for the road dose help, I do need to say that these cars are getting old now and will never handle like a modern car of today, 30 ears more advanced chassis is always going to be better.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-18, 05:29 PM   #3
Richi95
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
Bilstein b4 shocks with H&R 45 lowering springs???? I think the Bilstein B4 shocks are standard and should not be fitted with lowered coil springs, I have H&R coils on my B2 coupe with Koni's all round, yes that can be set up quite hard for track work but reducing the rebound setting for the road dose help, I do need to say that these cars are getting old now and will never handle like a modern car of today, 30 ears more advanced chassis is always going to be better.
Yeah you are right, it was a naive mistake on my part, but I will probably swap them for some konis or b8s when I get a chance. And yeah absolutely, just after a little less sway really. I will end up replacing all the bushes on the front end at the same time, which will hopefully make it handle a little tighter
Old 28-08-18, 06:27 PM   #4
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

There has been a recent post on the forum about poly bushes, I poly bushed all the suspension bushes on my 1984 Ur quattro and will never poly bush a car again, rebuilt the suspension on my B2 coupe and S2 coupe with standard bushes, in my mind the standard bushes work fine when new and give the car a nice feel through the steering wheel where as the poly bushes make the car feel numb and lifeless, for an out and out track car the poly bushes will be best but for a road going car stick to standard bushes and change them every 4 to 5 years.
Old 28-08-18, 07:41 PM   #5
Richi95
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
There has been a recent post on the forum about poly bushes, I poly bushed all the suspension bushes on my 1984 Ur quattro and will never poly bush a car again, rebuilt the suspension on my B2 coupe and S2 coupe with standard bushes, in my mind the standard bushes work fine when new and give the car a nice feel through the steering wheel where as the poly bushes make the car feel numb and lifeless, for an out and out track car the poly bushes will be best but for a road going car stick to standard bushes and change them every 4 to 5 years.
Ah right, I was surprised to hear that! Do you know what brand of polybush you went for? I know there are some different grade for PU bushes i.e. road and track, but I guess I may stick to OEM, and may polybush the front arb only. At the moment I have only poly bushed the rear beam and panhard rod which isn't really too much different, but I'd imagine any change to the front end, poly or oem would make a noticeable difference.
Old 28-08-18, 08:06 PM   #6
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

If you drive via your finger tips on the steering wheel to fell the grip I would not recomend poly bushes for road use, no feed back.