Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Checking ignition timing on 2.3ng???

Old 20-05-14, 10:31 AM   #1
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Question Checking ignition timing on 2.3ng???

Hi all,

Went out to get the oil and filter changed this morning.
While there I wanted to get the ignition timing checked, armed with all the information I needed, (or so I thought) engine up to temp, fuse in fuel pump relay, 15btdc etc......

Where do you point the light? There seems to be 3 different holes at the flywheel, add to that, it seems to be very rusty and no mark visible

TIA

Dan.
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-14, 10:41 AM   #2
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's not a hole you are looking for, but a small line one with a 0 and 1.
And there is a small mark on the V-belt pulley
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-14, 02:29 PM   #3
PoloGaz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The hole in the transmission casing to look at the flywheel through is just below the metal water pipe and has a flat side to the lower end. This flat side is the side you need to line up with the timing marks. There are several timing marks on the NG flywheel though, probably because it's used on more than 1 engine. 0 represents TDC. The other marks appear as just lines on my flywheel.

If you can't find the right ignition timing mark, maybe try counting the teeth back from TDC? a white marker can be used to put a dot on it to make it easier to see when the engine is running.

EDIT - the flywheel has 135 teeth to my knowledge, so 1 tooth is 2 and 2/3rds degress. 16° BTDC is therefore 6 teeth. I believe the spec is 15-17?

TDC is easiest to find to get started. if you can rotate the engine while looking at the back of the camshaft cover, (on mine i needed a torch to see through the gap) you should (Eventually) be able to find a dot stamped into the back of the cam pulley. When this dot is aligned with the top of the rocker cover gasket, This indicates TDC and you should then be able to see a zero in the timing window on the flywheel, or at least be very close to it.

Last edited by PoloGaz; 20-05-14 at 02:59 PM.
PoloGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-14, 03:04 PM   #4
dgacampbell
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks chaps!!
dgacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote