Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Fuel Pipes sizes from the petrol tank. B2 1983

Old 13-05-16, 04:58 PM   #1
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Fuel Pipes sizes from the petrol tank. B2 1983

I still have the original 'plastic' pipes that do the feed and return on my B2 Carb car. What have other people used. I cannot find the modern equivelent online.

ETKA
Feed - 812 201 223 C
Return - 812 201 229 B

Has anyone replaced them and if so where from. VW heritage do a 'braided 5.5mm hose (N90099601) would this do the job? Looking at the pipe ends in the engine bay they are different sizes.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 07:09 PM   #2
jampublic
Grown up member

Did you have any luck finding a replacement? I recently tried to replace my fuel filter and cut these factory fitted heat fitted fuel lines to help me remove my fuel filter. Obviously this was a massive cock up on my part & now I am struggling to get any fuel pipe to handle the pressure & stay attached.
jampublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 07:31 PM   #3
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Just wondering why youd need to replace them? Are they leaking?
Made from nylon iirc that lasts donkeys years.
Im sure you could get replacement pipe to suit from a tubing supplier alternatively replace them with Kunifer (copper/nickel).
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 10:43 PM   #4
jampublic
Grown up member

I wanted to change the fuel filter, so now I have dealing with consequences.

The issue is standard fuel hose will just blow off, I can't get the pipe to stay in place. Both ends are push fit Barb/nipple or I think it would be called a banjo fitting?!
Old 01-11-18, 10:45 PM   #5
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Im sure you could get replacement pipe to suit from a tubing supplier alternatively replace them with Kunifer (copper/nickel).
Sounds great? But how does that work on a barb or nipple fittings!
Old 02-11-18, 05:28 AM   #6
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampublic View Post
Sounds great? But how does that work on a barb or nipple fittings!
Sleeve it with rubber fuel hose and secure with the correct type fuel hose clips?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 06:02 AM   #7
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Just wondering why youd need to replace them? Are they leaking?
Made from nylon iirc that lasts donkeys years.
Because mine ended up being 2 feet too short.....
Old 04-11-18, 12:36 PM   #8
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampublic View Post
Did you have any luck finding a replacement? I recently tried to replace my fuel filter and cut these factory fitted heat fitted fuel lines to help me remove my fuel filter. Obviously this was a massive cock up on my part & now I am struggling to get any fuel pipe to handle the pressure & stay attached.
Hopefully you are sorted by now. I was in the middle of replying the other day when the site went down.

No I did not find direct replacements. I wanted to replace the whole length as the pipes are 35 odd years old. I did have dreams of trying to restore rather than 'get working'. I could only find modern 8mm ID fuel pipe at a reasonable cost. My car has 2 sizes one for feed (IIRC 6.5 or 7mm ID) and one for return (IIRC 5 or 6mm). Both way smaller than 8mm
As suggested on another forum I went into Pirtek with a few offcuts and what sizes I needed. They were really helpful. I came out with a some double sided barbed pipe joiners and hose clamps.

Hose clamps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Ea...9vA:rk:12:pf:0

I then sourced 3 odd meters of fuel pipe from VW heritage. Along with some jubilee clips this enabled me to join the feed pipe using a joiner to the petrol pump to evaporator to carb. Then a pipe jubilee clipped to the return. I do not have the pressure problems you have as I run a carb! If I remember I will post a pic later.

As others have suggested get some pipe the same ID as your Barb fittings and use some of the clips I posted above. If you are lucky ETKA(7zap) might give you those dimensions from the comfort of your chair.

Most good hose suppliers will have both. Make sure you buy petrol resistant pipe! I got the impression the Pirtek branch I visited were used to random classic car people wandering in....
Old 05-11-18, 10:30 AM   #9
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Sleeve it with rubber fuel hose and secure with the correct type fuel hose clips?
Well who knows, I have fuel pipe and clamps. But not matter how tight I tighten then clamps, the pressure blows off the pipe work & I get fuel spraying out from under the car.
Old 05-11-18, 10:39 AM   #10
jampublic
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bunter View Post
As suggested on another forum I went into Pirtek with a few offcuts and what sizes I needed. They were really helpful. I came out with a some double sided barbed pipe joiners and hose clamps.

Hose clamps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Ea...9vA:rk:12:pf:0

I then sourced 3 odd meters of fuel pipe from VW heritage. Along with some jubilee clips this enabled me to join the feed pipe using a joiner to the petrol pump to evaporator to carb. Then a pipe jubilee clipped to the return. I do not have the pressure problems you have as I run a carb! If I remember I will post a pic later.
Pirtek - that sound like a plan.

Clamps - really those are a better option? I am using a standard pipe clip you would use on a radiator pipe. Correctly sized obviously for the 7/8mm pipe on the fuel line.

VW Hertiage - I went looking there and didn't have any luck, some suggested Audi Hertiage. But struggled with them too..

I need these obviously "double sided barbed pipe joiners"
But no doubt there is a technical term I need to figure out

Thank you for all the replies.

J