Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » No start and no ignition lights Audi 100 Typ 44

Old 25-11-17, 02:25 PM   #1
nokia7799
Grown up member

Default No start and no ignition lights Audi 100 Typ 44

Hi,

I have a 1983 Audi 100 2.1 Petrol Type 44 which is not starting. I have a fully charged battery, checked all fuses. Internal lights and other electrical systems are working but i have to ignition lights and the car will not crank. I have checked all earth straps, battery connections etc and they seem fine. There doesn't appear to be a relay or fuse dedicated to this circuit according to the guide in the fusebox, am i right in this?

Before I go looking at the ignition switch etc, any advice or possible obvious stuff im forgetting about or where i should go from here? Hopefully someone may have gone through this before.

Thanks very much..

Barry
nokia7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 05:02 PM   #2
audizzz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sounds as though it could be the ignition barrel cylinder. not the bit that the key goes in but the bit behind it it. The contacts could be worn or dirty. My son has had a similar problem and has a second barrel hanging down at the moment.
audizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 06:07 PM   #3
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audizzz View Post
Sounds as though it could be the ignition barrel cylinder. not the bit that the key goes in but the bit behind it it. The contacts could be worn or dirty. My son has had a similar problem and has a second barrel hanging down at the moment.
Totally agree with audizzz, this is a very common fault, I have not done one for many years but it is easy, photo below is of a coupe steering ignition switch and lock, Audi 100 is different I think, in the coupe you need to drill a 3mm hole in the alloy housing and remove the steering lock, one or both I can't remember which, in the photo below you can see the new switch and old switch, the switches are very cheap, under a £10.

Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-17, 12:19 AM   #4
nokia7799
Grown up member

Hi Colin and AudiZZZ.. I really appreciate the advice. You were dead right. I took down the tray under the steering wheel and dash and played around with the back of the ignition and i got my ignition lights and she cranked and started... I understand that im taking a chance at not replacing the switch but I will chance it for a short while... It will save stripping the whole lot out... Space was very restricted and I moved a heater pipe out of my way to get at the back of the switch...

THanks again for your help. I do appreciate it..
Old 28-11-17, 12:29 AM   #5
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

First time this happened to me in my Ur quattro in the mid 90's I thought how much is this going to cost, £5.00 for a new switch and 2Hr to fit, is the answer, do not leave this to long the switch is going to fail, the cost of a new switch and a little effort to fit will seam like a pittance if you have to get the car uplifted and transported home and still have the new switch to fit.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 11:51 PM   #6
nokia7799
Grown up member

THanks very much. I know. Im kidding myself not doing it.. I appreciate your advice.