Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » What are the pro's & con's of reburbing wheels

Old 15-03-16, 08:45 PM   #11
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Bodyshops wouldn't normally have an Acid bath,but good wheel refurbishers do! There's plenty about to choose from.Don't know about your area at all but i'm sure Milton Keynes isn't too far from you.You could get them done at Pristine Wheels.

Can't think 10 spokes would add to your insurance premium.Off topic but how much is your insurance??
Thanks vorsprung durch technik...
MK is about 30-40 miles away, I'll give them a call, but if they cant do them while I wait, well

Whenever insurance companies have asked me in the past, "is your car modified?", I've asked them to give examples, alloys being one of them, so I'm assuming having them would effect the premium, but as I said, I don't want alloys anyway!

Dunno, probably about £200 per year, pay monthly by DD.
(EDIT: that's for fully comp, legal protection, full NCB protection, and commuting btw - basic AA cover was included but now separate.)

Last edited by leggy; 15-03-16 at 08:58 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 09:44 PM   #12
fourringsrus
Grown up member

There are plenty of mobile guys in the game who will come to you at home or at work, do the job and go.
I once declared that my coupe had 18 inch RS4 style allies fitted because they were/are rare in 4x108 spec, they added £10 to the premium.
Your wheels will NOT SHRINK just from being stripped/blasted, remember they take old paint/primer off and put new paint on.
Good luck
fourringsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 10:46 PM   #13
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourringsrus View Post
...Your wheels will NOT SHRINK just from being stripped/blasted, remember they take old paint/primer off and put new paint on.
Good luck

I'm no expert fourringsrus...
but say the rims are corroded and the corrosion is deeper than it appears, well wont the sandblasting cause them to break? (this being what concerns me! )
Old 15-03-16, 11:22 PM   #14
esseff
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Probably safe to say that if sandblasting causes rims to break, then they're unsafe to begin with. They'd have to be really corroded for that to happen but I doubt you've got anything to worry about.
I've got three Audi 80 B4 steel wheels complete with tyres that I'd be happy to lend you for a while if Castle Donington's not too far away for you to collect.
esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 11:29 PM   #15
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseff View Post
...I've got three Audi 80 B4 steel wheels complete with tyres that I'd be happy to lend you for a while if Castle Donington's not too far away for you to collect.
Really? kool, thanks esseff ...
Have a few things going on atm, and wasn't planning on getting them done for a few months yet, most likely June when it's next in for some panel repair/respray work, also need to get some quotes in - so can I get back to you on that one please?
Old 16-03-16, 05:53 AM   #16
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The current Sport Rader wheels off my cabriolet will be for sale if interested...
DanielGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 07:17 AM   #17
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

[quote=vorsprung durch technik;401358 Get yourself some tenspokes and get them referbed as outlined.The car will look so much better for it.[/QUOTE]

.....and a cherished plate, job's a good un as they say.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 09:40 AM   #18
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Get yourself some tenspokes and get them referbed as outlined.The car will look so much better for it.
I'm with Mark Fitting ten spokes to my B4 transformed it from just looking good to, in my eyes at least, looking fabulous Although with purchase and delivery, refurb and new top quality tyres it cost me £675 Not cheap but well worth it.
Several forum users have a full set of 10 spokes for sale and many come with good matching tyres. I bought a single one to use as a spare complete with a good useable Dunlop tyre from a fellow forum user for £36 delivered.

If your worried about insurance, if you haven't already done so, get yourself on a price comparison website and get some quotes with and without alloys and don't forget ten spokes were an optional extra so as far as an insurance company needs to know they could have been on since new

Let's face it though alloys putting your insurance up is just so 1980/90s isn't it, another insurance con A throwback to when alloy wheels were rare and only boy racers fitted them. Everthing bar the most basic sh1tbox has alloys as standard these days, even caravans, so a set of factory spec alloys on a 25 year car isn't going to interest your local TGB or Billy Ballbag in the slightest. The days of waking up in the morning to find your pride and joy on bricks and your alloys gone are well gone (he says looking out of the window to check the cars OK!)

Last edited by cjp0349; 16-03-16 at 09:54 AM.
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 12:30 PM   #19
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGT500 View Post
The current Sport Rader wheels off my cabriolet will be for sale if interested...
Thanks, but no thanks DanielGT500!
Old 16-03-16, 12:31 PM   #20
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
.....and a cherished plate, job's a good un as they say.

Oh John, you are funny!

(I already have a set of cherished DMB VAG/dealer plates! )