Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » NC 500 Road Trip

Old 25-02-21, 05:45 PM   #1
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default NC 500 Road Trip

NC 500 Clockwise or anti-clockwise - please discuss.

I have finally persuaded the memsahib to at least consider this for a holiday later on this year as France looks a bit dicey until they get their vaccination programme going properly. Which direction is likely to give the best views?
Thanks,
Chris.
SwallownAmazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 12:17 AM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon View Post
Which direction is likely to give the best views?
Both !

Whatever way you do it, realising after that you really should've done it the other way gives you a great reason to do it again ?!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 08:35 AM   #3
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Can heartily recommend this

I’ve not done the complete circuit but did Inverness to Drumbeg clockwise (we stayed there for a week and used that as a base to explore) Drumbeg to John O Groats clockwise then back to Drumbeg. The views are another level you’ll find yourself stopping to admire frequently, in both directions! When we went it was April 2018, there had been late snow so the mountains were still white, weather however was sunny and crisp. We will 100% be going back to complete the route

My only concern for you would possibly be that it might be on a few people’s radar this year especially, very few cars up there when we did it, a few campers, and more than a couple of dutch cars i seem to remember. But it will still be amazing. Take the 90, and your camera!
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 09:38 AM   #4
anthonys2
Grown up member

Thoroughly recommend you do this!! Did it in our S2 in 2019 and last time I did something similar was back in 2003. We went clockwise but it doesn’t really matter the views are spectacular. One thing you’ll have to prepare for is the number of people who wanted to talk to me about our car the wife couldn’t quite believe it lol. Of course the Applecross is amazing great pub at the bottom with nice views. From John O Groats back down make sure you stay at The Royal Golf Hotel at Dornoch that was our little treat. With everything going on I will be doing this again this year
anthonys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 12:51 PM   #5
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Whatever way you decide Chris, I hope the weather is good to you because it'll make all the difference

As above, it will be busy(!), good for business's but not so good if you can't book a room?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 09:36 PM   #6
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks, chaps. I'm a bit concerned about accommodation which is why I was after advice about the direction. I'll try and book hotels/guest houses before we go and leave it until after the kids go back to school.
I am intending to take the Little Red Rocket Ship because:
I love driving it
It's economical
It's comfortable
It's often a talking point, as Anthony says.
On our way back from Scotland a few years ago, we stopped off to see Just Jane at East Kirkby and a couple came up to us in the car park at The Petwood Hotel to talk about the car. He had a Saab 900 Turbo but always hankered after a 90 20v. Bumped into them again an hour or so later under the Lanc's wing.
SwallownAmazon is online now   Reply With Quote