Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » AAN Pipe dream :(

Old 20-10-20, 10:33 PM   #11
Gaz

Re the other things I need:

I'm thinking I'd like to fit a clutch that would have enough headway to handle 400-500hp in the event I get that far (so future proofing) but ideally still okay to drive day to day? Anybody any recommendations?

Does my choice of flywheel affect which clutches will fit?

I also think my clutch release bearing is a little noisy , will I need to replace that with something special too?

Do I also need to replace the pilot/spigot bearing/input shaft? (I'm not really clued up on these things )
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-20, 07:42 AM   #12
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Cheers for the info. Re the con rods, if i wanted to upgrade turbo to get somewhere in the middle of 400-500 Hp would I not need stronger rods to handle the extra torque?

I thought that extra torque was more of a reasoning for getting stronger rods than higher revs on these engine. (unless you're building a screamer?)
Hi Gaz, Many folk believe that doubling the output ( 200 to 400 for instance) will also double the power loadings on the engine, luckily its not so.

The reason for that is mainly that peak pressures increase loadings on pistons and rods.
If you cram 2X the air fuel mix into the cylinder the peak loads go up by only around 20% because powers a function of the average pressure over the entire stroke of the piston and not only peak pressure.
What youre doing by boosting higher is to increase the relative pressure towards the middle and ends of the power stroke whilst the peak isnt rising significantly...certainly nowhere near doubling!
Since peak pressures usually reached at around 18-20% of mixture burn if the mixtures doubled, at the same point youll still have the same 18-20% burn.
Because the total chamber pressure consists of compression pressure and burning mixture pressure, its impossible to double the total pressure seen by the pistons (and loads passed to the rods) by doubling only one of the constituent pressures.
At crank angles of around 90 degrees, chamber pressure is somewhere around 3 to 4 times greater when under boost, yet its well under the peak pressures seen so you dont get a loading that causes damage.
Detonations where the peak loads go astronomically high and must be avoided at all costs.
If you can control detonation then you can certainly double the power but not the loads.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-20, 06:36 PM   #13
Gaz

Thanks for the info 4v6 . Good to know the rods should be okay. Although I was still under the impression an upgrade was a good idea if the turbo you are using makes a lot of Torque?

if anyone can point me in the direction of all the parts I need at least just to get the engine in situ, I will start buying bits .

I'm guessing things like audi 200 flywheels are hard to come by these days... ?
If anyone's seen any of the things I need for sale, just point me in their direction and I'll get em

Last edited by Gaz; 21-10-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 11:46 PM   #14
Gaz

So.. if I've got this right, I need:

An audi 200 3B flywheel?

Any clutch suitable for a UR quattro?

And a needle bearing?

And that should all just bolt stright up to my Type 85 CQ 5 speed gearbox?

If all that's correct, does anybody have what I need or know where I can buy them new?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-20, 10:10 AM   #15
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I used a Sachs performance clutch. It increases the pedal effort needed but not drastically and as its still a normal plate not a paddle type its easy and progressive around town and still easily handles the 450+bhp it now has on its hybrid turbo. I also lightened the 3B flywheel (bolts straight upto 01E 5 speed on Cq/90) as I used Bassat down balancing to balance the whole engine so vibration at any rpm is a thing of the past..
Oh and I use a vacuum pump for the brakes as when on boost you don't have vacuum for the servo and got caught out with no servo assistance on a local road with lots of roundabouts a few years ago going from boost stright to brakes several times and this pump has eliminated this issue

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 10:18 AM   #16
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
I used a Sachs performance clutch. It increases the pedal effort needed but not drastically and as its still a normal plate not a paddle type its easy and progressive around town and still easily handles the 450+bhp it now has on its hybrid turbo. I also lightened the 3B flywheel (bolts straight upto 01E 5 speed on Cq/90) as I used Bassat down balancing to balance the whole engine so vibration at any rpm is a thing of the past..
Oh and I use a vacuum pump for the brakes as when on boost you don't have vacuum for the servo and got caught out with no servo assistance on a local road with lots of roundabouts a few years ago going from boost stright to brakes several times and this pump has eliminated this issue
PS, I have all the work info from the Audi Driver magazines plus additional info on the install if you'd like it. PM email address Plumbing everything into a small space was my biggest issue!!!!

Old 05-11-20, 11:38 AM   #17
Gaz

Question

Quote:
PS, I have all the work info from the Audi Driver magazines plus additional info on the install if you'd like it. PM email address Plumbing everything into a small space was my biggest issue!!!!
Hi thanks for the reply. Re gearbox, mine is the 016 isn't it?

Also, I thought yours had the 6 speed?
Old 05-11-20, 01:11 PM   #18
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. Re gearbox, mine is the 016 isn't it?

Also, I thought yours had the 6 speed?
Used the 5 speed in mine for a short time but found the ratios very short, fitted the 6 speed CGR at the same time as I uprated the engine, so can now do 60 in 2nd 80 in 3rd and same as 5 speed in 4th & 125 in 5th with 6th still short but suits the engine well at 23.3mph/1000rpm.

Old 06-11-20, 09:54 PM   #19
Gaz

I'll send you over an email address shortly. Cheers!

I've been offered a 7A flywheel ? does anybody know if that is a good match with an 016 Gear Box and an AAN motor in a type 85 CQ?

I'm sure I read some thread somewhere about somebody ruining their gearbox with a 7A flywheel though? But that might have been on an S2 or something? ? ?
Old 11-11-20, 01:22 AM   #20
Gaz

Question

Quote:
Used the 5 speed in mine for a short time but found the ratios very short, fitted the 6 speed CGR at the same time as I uprated the engine, so can now do 60 in 2nd 80 in 3rd and same as 5 speed in 4th & 125 in 5th with 6th still short but suits the engine well at 23.3mph/1000rpm.
So,.. I've been offered a used flywheel from an Audi 200 3B with part number 034105271F

If I buy this, what clutch do I need? One for an Audi 200 3B ? or one for an Audi UR Quattro or some kind of mix and match?