Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Water...

Old 27-01-16, 01:51 PM   #1
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Water...

Hi Peeps, while the S8 has taken the role of my daily car I have left the Cabriolet parked up, its been a while since its been driven, so went to her today and found I had a surprise waiting for me...

The rear passenger side footwell is soaking wet, and I mean dripping! obviously this is a concern as its never done this before and the car has been bone dry, hell, you all know how much work and ££ I have spent on this car, so I don't know how this has happened.

I jacked the car up, checked underneath, no damage, all sealed, but while I was under there I cleared some dirt out of the 4 drainage holes under the car just incase (and yes they were pretty rank with dirt blockage)

I have now got 4x 1kg silica bags in there to help dry her out, I took the sill trim plastic off and it appears to be soaked into the carpet, so tomorrow the seats and all the carpets are coming out so I can check properly and dry the carpet out.

At the moment I can see no obvious signs of ingress, the boot is also clear of any water. the hardtop is on and has been for months and its bone dry.

Any suggestions? for tomorrow?
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-16, 02:52 PM   #2
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's not much help, but I reckon where the cabbie roof meets the body is the problem, you say it's a while since it's been driven, over the last two months or so we've had a fair few gallons of water that have fallen out of the sky.
Old 27-01-16, 04:56 PM   #3
leggy

Sorry to hear of your troubles 1781cc...
Have you considered a leaking heater matrix?

[EDIT] just re-read your post and noted that it's your 'rear' passenger footwell that is affected and not the front passenger footwell, so maybe not the heater matrix. That said, and I dont know if the the 80 cabbie has the same heater matrix and vent set up, but my 80 sedan has some heater outlet vents under the seats so it's still possible I suppose that the matrix could have leaked through the under seat vents rather than the front vents if it is the same set up.

Are the clips/trims at the bottom of the front seat belt fittings secure?
I've had water coming in through that area and in to the rear passenger footwell on mine recently due to one of the clips being disturbed/loose on that side. How the heck it got loose though is beyond me, I dont even use the doors on that side so I reckon one of those 'lets cause a niggle fairies' was having some fun one night and knocked it out of place.

Last edited by leggy; 27-01-16 at 05:26 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 05:38 PM   #4
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

OK, so I have a f**king swimming pool in my car (yes, its blue full of water)

Everything on the passenger side is soaking, so I am going to have to take the carpet out to dry it and clean it up, interior is out, I am guessing the whole dash needs to come out as well in order to do this as I don't want to cut the carpet.

This is as far as I have got so far:

I know that the four bolts (two either side of the dash ends between the door cards) have to come out, and the steering column stalks taken off), maybe dash speakers to come out, what else after that?

All tucked up and being dehumidified:

Old 04-02-16, 10:50 PM   #5
leggy

Holy Crap 1781cc!!!...
you weren't joking about the swimming pool were you? That's one heck of a lot of water you got there, and I'm doubtful that the heater matrix system would hold that much water, let alone leak clear water, so I'm more inclined to go with the window or hood suggestion (comment disappeared with the server change over) as being the cause now.

Not sure that you need to take the dash out completely for carpet removal; my 80 sedan carpet seems to just tuck up behind the foot pedals and glove box and can usually be wiggled to ease it from behind the dash, as well as the door strips. I don't envy you in the slightest if dash does need to come out though, you're certainly braver than I am!

I do have an Audi 100 & A6 manual that you can borrow if you need some guidance, used it when I removed the centre console for gaiter change in mine last year, main dash is pretty much the same for the 100/A6 & 80, might help in so far as locating screws/bolts for cabbie - just pm me if you're interested.
Old 05-02-16, 08:31 AM   #6
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for the offer of the manuals, I have taken a sizeable chunk of the dash apart before when I rewired the whole stereo system, so I am pretty comfortable with it, but just not the last part as it appears to be joined in the middle under the central area, there are also boxes and stuff with a load of wires in there, so kind of reluctant to go about cutting it.

It definitely needs to come out though, I want it properly dry as there is no point in doing it half arsed as it just leads to problems later on with mould and stuff.

Bloody car hates me!
Old 05-02-16, 08:37 AM   #7
msh
4 ring whore!

Yes, if you want to completely and in one piece remove sound deadening, you should take off dash, as the deadening goes up on the firewall until it meets the beam, behind heater. Carpet itself could be removed with just centre console removed. Afterwards, hang them somewhere - some years ago I found that sound deadening could be quickly dried by hanging it in my small bathroom and turning on heater, heating the whole bathroom up to, dunno , 50-60 degrees - took approx day to get them dry - carpet, of course, dries faster. You could take chance and wash your carpet as well as it's out of the car, my favourite way is big brush, clothes washing powder and bucket of water.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 08:41 AM   #8
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks msh for the info, I do plan on cleaning it while it is out, I am also using a dehumidifier at the moment on the interior parts, so will put it in a small room and use it on the carpet.

Another plus of having the interior completely out is that I will sit in it while the wife runs the pressure washer over the car and see if I can find the leak.

Its too much water to be the Matrix, plus its new(wish) and above all, the level of water in the system hasn't changed and the car hasn't been driven in nearly a month
Old 05-02-16, 08:44 AM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Better use hose, not pressure washer...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 12:12 PM   #10
leggy

Agreed, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly

You're still braver than me; I've taken a few bits apart on my dash, needs must n'all, but just the sight of a few wires scares the crap out of me, had it not, well I'd have offered to come and help, albeit I'd probably just get in the way.

Sure is a nice cabbie, and I'm sure it doesn't hate you 1781cc...
It's just seeking some attention due to not having been driven for a month, either that or its trying to compete with the cabbie-come-jacuzzi at AITP7 (sorry, had to throw that one in!).