Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Remember these and even welded one up.

Old 24-09-17, 08:47 AM   #21
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
I have a mate who owns one he restored by himself. It used to be 318i, he bought it at the beginning of this decade and spent year and half welding it, because it was like swiss cheese - I haven't seen so rusty car so far, usually way less rusty cars goes to crusher - now, for past two or three years he sometimes drives it on dry summer days A couple of years ago he also swapped in 1.8 iS engine from E30 in it.
It wasn't Mr DSRLeasing by any chance was it?

Seriously though, the E36 I would say is on a par with a MK3 Golf, the Audis of the same years were miles ahead.

That said, they were supposed to be minimalist and I liked the driver oriented dashboard, the way everything is focused on the driver.
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 10:27 AM   #22
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi80fan View Post
If this question is about E21 owner, then unlikely, as the person in question is a lone wolf in latvian countryside.

I've heard stories about BMW ergonomics, including a couple from current audi owners, which were like "BMW is more comfortable etc, but I want to be able to drive in winter as well..." That particular E36 was quite interesting, with 2.5 engine and loud exhaust, but not for everyday use - the owner of it, who has C4 A6 2.5 TDI as a daily driver, bought that BMW for it's strengths, to be used for drifting in track and occasionally as a daily car, when A6 would be not available.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 04:30 PM   #23
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:

Speaking of E21 - I have a mate who owns one he restored by himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi80fan View Post
Quote:
If this question is about E21 owner, then unlikely, as the person in question is a lone wolf in latvian countryside.
Lost in translation!!

cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote