Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » I Wanna buy a camera. Whatcha reckon?

Old 04-06-20, 01:49 PM   #11
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Looking to buy a camera. Actually, my brother has asked me to do it, for a surprise.

Budget circa £150. Used. Thinking Canon/Nikon, DSLR things appear on fleabay in the region.
As a professional photographer I have a lot of experience with this, there are A LOT of cameras out there now that you'll get very professional results with. I've been using Canon for years, I highly recommend them but the real pro cameras such as the 7D or 5D are very expensive. What I would recommend is the smaller and genuinely very good 600D or 700D, the latter being a camera I use all the time. It's lightweight and easy to hold for long periods of time, takes very high quality photos and has an excellent video recording option.

Be careful however, you should try and get one with a low shutter count, anything over 10,000 and it's got a bit too much use. Anything goes wrong and repairs are expensive. If it looks a bit worn then the milage is high, clean looking examples may be very well looked after but shutter count is important. Think of it as you would the milage on a car.

Try and get one with a lens as well, they come standard with a 18-55mm, which is a good all round lens. Also, you don't have to go with Canon lens's, Sigma do great lens's at a fraction of the cost.

Here's what I use for everyday pro photography...
Untitled by Luke W Cleary, on Flickr

Good luck with the search!
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:44 PM   #12
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

My preferred back in the day was my OM10, and a couple of generations after that. Later, an EOS was added which was OK, but by that point I didn’t have the time for so many hobbies. When the quattro was rear ended, I was in the process of changing careers. The canon got got crushed in the boot, and was never replaced. Aviation was also time consuming, and hobbies took a back seat.
Then, consumers were getting a first taste of digital cameras, and something that fit in your pocket could produce images that were instantly available.

Since then, I’ve thought about getting another SLR, but I hate travelling with more kit than I really must. I transit more airport security in 1 week than most people do in 1 year. My LUMIX 5mp trusty old thing from 2007 recently gave way to a sureshot mini thing with loads of mega pixies. A GoPro is often lurking in there, too.

The camera for my sis in law has now been bought, and is on its way. It’s an older EOS variant (400D) and three lenses for insects shagging at close range to people shagging at long range.

Maybe I’ll buy myself something one day. But I have two pocket size digitals, the hero, and two iPhones. Enough is enough, for now.

Cheers all
Old 04-06-20, 05:21 PM   #13
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
It’s an older EOS variant (400D) and three lenses for insects shagging at close range to people shagging at long range.
Pictures when she's ready!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:12 PM   #14
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Pictures when she's ready!
Too late. Already in the hands of the happy end user. What would you do with close ups of stag beetles doing what only stag beetles do to each other, anyhoo?
Old 04-06-20, 08:26 PM   #15
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

What type of pro photography,do you do?

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:10 AM   #16
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I don’t do any pro-photography. I Mostly only ever do any in connection with other things I do. Years back, it was motocross. Travels. These days, the aircraft tends to be like a photo recon when we go to interesting places/challenging approaches.
The canon Powershot is handy as its small, 40x optical, and 20+megapixies. Handy for those moments that come by.