Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Ur warning lights and gremlins

Old 18-08-19, 04:09 PM   #1
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Ur warning lights and gremlins

Went for a spin after replacing some vac pipes and these lights flickered and came on and off intermittently.

Also the range mpg has gone crazy, as you will see. Boost is also cutting out at high revs.
I have checked all the vac pipes and the routes/connections and they are as before. The solenoid was broken and I have replace it with a new one. Anti return valve also replaced.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tractor Dave; 18-08-19 at 07:16 PM.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 06:35 PM   #2
steveb
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks like the brake warning light, low fluid brake pads worn if the wires are still connected. If by passed check those connections. Does the voice work?
'84 WR
'89 coupe quattro
'01 A2 1.4 TDI SE
'14 A3 1.4 TFSI COD
[/color][/size][/font]
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 07:06 PM   #3
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
Looks like the brake warning light, low fluid brake pads worn if the wires are still connected. If by passed check those connections. Does the voice work?
Ok, I will check pads and wires. Fluid is good. Its intermittent so think its more a wiring issue rather than worn pads. Brakes were apparently done not long ago. Voice isn't working.

Any ideas re the mpg range and boost cut?
Old 18-08-19, 08:22 PM   #4
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

check the ECU....

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...=37959&page=17
Old 18-08-19, 08:33 PM   #5
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
I hope not

But thanks anyway. I'm going to try all the other options first like boost leaks and electrical gremlins.
Old 18-08-19, 08:46 PM   #6
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor Dave View Post
I hope not

But thanks anyway. I'm going to try all the other options first like boost leaks and electrical gremlins.
If the car has been welded on the ECU and Dash are the weak points. Both need to be off line before anything like that happens. Trust me, I know.
Old 18-08-19, 08:51 PM   #7
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Boost cut out at high revs suggests the ECU is standard but the wastegate spring has been wound down. So might just need backing off. As per link, scout out the ECU for tampering, it’ll be obvious.

The warning light intermediate might just be the ‘check brake system’ function without the voice activation.

Run the car for a while, when it (the warning light) goes out turn the headlights on and I’ll bet it will come back on again...

It’s probably a grounding issue.

Last edited by Isimmo; 18-08-19 at 08:54 PM.
Isimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 09:04 PM   #8
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Boost cut out at high revs suggests the ECU is standard but the wastegate spring has been wound down. So might just need backing off. As per link, scout out the ECU for tampering, it’ll be obvious.

The warning light intermediate might just be the ‘check brake system’ function without the voice activation.

Run the car for a while, when it (the warning light) goes out turn the headlights on and I’ll bet it will come back on again...

It’s probably a grounding issue.
Cheers very much. I will check tomorrow.
They welding hasn't started...………...yet
Old 19-08-19, 04:09 AM   #9
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Dave, as you have been in below the ash tray and centre consul area I think I need to mention this, their are two black round plugs with blue wires that look as they should be connected together but they are for testing only, if the black plugs are connected the hand brake light stays on and other lights come on on the dash, I have had the same problem in the past, as for the boost it sounds like the car is over boosting, watch the boost gauge as you are driving the two green bars on the dash should rise to around the 2.0 mark if the 2 green bars turn in to 3 green bars at the very right of the scale this may be an indication of over boosting, dose the car pull past 4000Rpm cleanly if not test the air temp sensor on the top of the inlet manifold, I think it should be 9 to 23 ohms ??? ambient air temperature dependent.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 07:55 AM   #10
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
Hi Dave, as you have been in below the ash tray and centre consul area I think I need to mention this, their are two black round plugs with blue wires that look as they should be connected together but they are for testing only, if the black plugs are connected the hand brake light stays on and other lights come on on the dash, I have had the same problem in the past, as for the boost it sounds like the car is over boosting, watch the boost gauge as you are driving the two green bars on the dash should rise to around the 2.0 mark if the 2 green bars turn in to 3 green bars at the very right of the scale this may be an indication of over boosting, dose the car pull past 4000Rpm cleanly if not test the air temp sensor on the top of the inlet manifold, I think it should be 9 to 23 ohms ??? ambient air temperature dependent.
Thanks Colin. That's very useful. I will get looking later today.