Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Where does this connector go??!! MB Quattro

Old 07-08-19, 02:18 PM   #1
oliverjl
Grown up member

Default Where does this connector go??!! MB Quattro

Is there anyone who knows where this wire should go to on my MB Quattro?? It is running from the loom just below the injector fan and seems to be homeless after having the engine out....
According to the colour my guess is the oil pressure switch (and the oil light wont go out on the dash making me more suspicious...), but the oil pressure switch seems to have a red connector on the bulkhead next to the master cylinder. Any help greatly appreciated...

oliverjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 02:54 PM   #2
AdrianH
Grown up member

I haven't got my MB to hand just at the mo or I'd check. IIRC there are two thermo switches in the cylinder head near there –*could it be one of those? (TBH I'd fire up Google translate and get going on the late Phil P's MB wiring diagrams.)
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 06:47 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

the round oil pressure sender on the side of the block only uses one of the connections (G) since there's no oil pressure gauge in the car.
Old 07-08-19, 08:28 PM   #4
oliverjl
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
the round oil pressure sender on the side of the block only uses one of the connections (G) since there's no oil pressure gauge in the car.

Thanks very much, I will try that, but if thats the case it means I have 2 other wires spare....!!
Old 09-08-19, 04:07 PM   #5
oliverjl
Grown up member

Swapping the wire has cured the oil light, but I now have these 2 spare... blue/black and white/brown, they split off the loom below the distributor but are fairly long so could go anywhere!

Old 09-08-19, 04:41 PM   #6
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Wild guess - diagnostics connectors? Mine were hanging down from behind the dash after all the re-commissioning work on my B3 90 20v a couple of years ago. I recall they are the same colours.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 06:44 PM   #7
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Pretty sure they're for the 2 temp senders Adrian mentioned.

They're next to the power steering pump
Old 20-08-19, 11:39 AM   #8
oliverjl
Grown up member

Default Where does this connector go??!! MB Quattro

Im still not getting very far with these wires... is there any chance someone with an MB Quattro could look what colours the wires are that go to the 2 temp sensors next to the power steering pump? It seems a bit strange that these would go there as they have the shrouds on the wires? Ive got photos before I dismantled it but I just cant make out the wire colours.
Thank in advance.
Old 20-08-19, 11:46 AM   #9
AdrianH
Grown up member

I'll take a look at mine this evening
Old 21-08-19, 09:30 AM   #10
AdrianH
Grown up member

OK... I just need to remember how to get some pics on to here. Your second pic BTW is a bit confusing –*have you got some brown wires 'connecting' the two connectors or is that my eyes deceiving me?

My pics aren't great –*I took them on the phone in a dark shed last so in case I can't get them up:

The brown/white goes to the temp sensor just behind the PAS pump / adjacent #1 spark plug. The sensor looks like/is like a brass hex with what looks like a flat head nail sticking out the top, screwed into a casting with cooling hose coming out the side. The connector slides on from the side.

The black/blue goes to a similar looking sender down below - I couldn't get the camera down there because of all the plumbing, but if you have a look around you'll find it easily enough.