Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Audi sport & history » C3 100 series Ali Blocks

Old 01-11-13, 02:27 AM   #1
kosoh
Grown up member

Default C3 100 series Ali Blocks

Can anyone help with following;

Some 1.9 Carb C3 100 series cars 82-84 were fitted with Aluminum blocks stamped with WH prefix;
There were'nt many. Can anyone confirm rumor that some of these were removed from the road cars and used in some of the works or privateer A2's?.

Long shot but just got Ray Read's old engine that he got from Gary and block has "shit-brown" (Lehmans) painting, a casting p/n ending in M rather than CH, a WH serial number but workings for a dry sump. I believe it was used in Gary's S1.

Any help on history of these WH 100 blocks appreciated.

Thanks

Keith B (kosoh)
kosoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 11:30 AM   #2
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quite a bit of info on the web about them, never heard of them in a type 43/44!

http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19245

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=19320803

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1939708

We'll all be keeping our eyes peeled then.

Probably more info out there, will take a look later.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 11:31 AM   #3
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks like ally to me!
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 02:14 PM   #4
kosoh
Grown up member

Photo didnt come up (nice little "X") - can you repost?. Had read the MG thread before. The block serial # is stamped WH-057-370 quite plainly. So I reckon that this could be from one of the 1.9 carb "taxi Cab" motors. From some research other "works" blocks were not numbered but were stamped 035/RT-M6. The p/n is 035-103-021M (p/n on other "works" blocks I have photos of show 035-103-021CH which may be a casting run identifier). I am curious about the block we have as it has all the C100 trademarks but then has a Lehman paint colour and is set up for a dry sump which I cannot see being put in a taxi cab. We know these blocks saw numerous changes through their lives but I am trying to determine whether these WH s/n blocks were ever used for works or privateer use in A2's.as being more available than the supposed 200 used for homologation?. If it helps the block has a build date stamp of 12-5-83.
Following on the WH stamped blocks show grey cast iron according to the VW records which makes this more complicated. Does this mean that potentially other C3 100's out there may have ali blocks or is this another Audi "one-off".
Any more info appreciated - maybe some of the ex DS boys could join in??

Cheers
Keith B
kosoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 03:32 PM   #5
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoh View Post
Can anyone help with following;

Some 1.9 Carb C3 100 series cars 82-84 were fitted with Aluminum blocks stamped with WH prefix;
There were'nt many. Can anyone confirm rumor that some of these were removed from the road cars and used in some of the works or privateer A2's?.

Long shot but just got Ray Read's old engine that he got from Gary and block has "shit-brown" (Lehmans) painting, a casting p/n ending in M rather than CH, a WH serial number but workings for a dry sump. I believe it was used in Gary's S1.

Any help on history of these WH 100 blocks appreciated.

Thanks

Keith B (kosoh)
As I understand it, the alloy blocks were shared between the Ur quattro sales and the Audi 100 from the factory and went into mainstream cars, there are various stories/tails and rumours as to what they lasted like, however very few appear to have survived, as those that failed in their early life were returned to Audi AG via the dealer network. The block you've got did indeed come to Ray from the late Gary Midwinter.