Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » 4 x B4 80 doors with lower trim mountings

Old 18-11-17, 06:50 AM   #1
A80QAAH
Grown up member

Default 4 x B4 80 doors with lower trim mountings

I'm after a complete set of doors for a B4 80 saloon/avant, they must have the mounting pins for lower door trims. Doors from a B3 90 are identical and would also be suitable.

They must be completely free from rust and straight, paint condition is not important, but Panther or Volcano black would be a bonus.

I don't need glass, frames, window mech, locks etc, just the bare shells.

I'm located near Bristol and collection would be possible within the vicinity, but I can also arrange shipping.
A80QAAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 11:40 AM   #2
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by A80QAAH View Post
Doors from a B3 90 are identical and would also be suitable.
Splitting hairs here! Externally the doors from a 90 are identical (i have a 80 avant front door on my 90) however internally the front doors on a B4 have extra fixings inside for an additional part that holds the drop-glass when it is down, the 90 didnt have these.

The rear doors from a 90 have an additional weather seal running down the inside rear edge, on the later cars this was only present on the RS2 IIRC and not on the 80/80 Avant.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 12:32 PM   #3
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

yes ive got a set of 4, in green
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 05:39 PM   #4
A80QAAH
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
Splitting hairs here! Externally the doors from a 90 are identical (i have a 80 avant front door on my 90) however internally the front doors on a B4 have extra fixings inside for an additional part that holds the drop-glass when it is down, the 90 didnt have these.

The rear doors from a 90 have an additional weather seal running down the inside rear edge, on the later cars this was only present on the RS2 IIRC and not on the 80/80 Avant.
Interesting to know, the part numbers are exactly the same, so everything you mention must be able to be swapped over?
Old 18-11-17, 05:40 PM   #5
A80QAAH
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spink View Post
yes ive got a set of 4, in green
I'll PM you.
Old 18-11-17, 05:53 PM   #6
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

I discovered the differences myself a few years ago. I was aware of the revision to the front door as i actively searched a good B4 one out so i could stop the annoying rattle when shutting the 90s door with the window down. Audi must have been aware of it as there is a white plastic, rubber lined, part that the glass lowers down into on the B4 that isnt there on the B3 90, neither are the little metal pegs that it attaches to with 2 plastic nuts, so unless you glue it in, you cannot retrofit one to a 90 door.

When i got hold of the drivers door i took the rear door from the same car as it was straight and rust free. When stripping it down for the paint shop i noticed the secondary seal was 'missing', on closer inspection the metal track the seal sits in wasnt there on the 80 door, again its impossible to fit the seal without the track as you have to stuff the back of the seal into it, it doesn't clip on as such. For this reason i decided not to use the replacement rear door and repair the 90 door instead...

The donor car was a green M- reg 80 avant, at the time i worked for a salvage yard and would have 'first dibs' on any B3/B4 that crossed the threshold - surprising how many subtle changes there were between the typ89 and 8A cars, then again with the later B4 / 8C cars...

maybe I should get out more....

Last edited by Mellis46; 18-11-17 at 06:02 PM.
Old 19-11-17, 01:55 PM   #7
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
maybe I should get out more....

It's a strange one that Audi omitted the outside seal on the rear B4 (8C) door, i was reluctant to get rid of my 20V rear doors to do a possible future retrofit on the B4 but as you so beautifully put it it would be a horses for courses retrofit. The good thing is they did include this rear door seal on the RS2 rear door so would be a choice door to look out for if some one was rebuilding a B4 and wanted all the best incorporated ideas in one package.

I was up in Birminghams Dunlop fort last night for a meal drink get together, good turnout with 34 people and lots of lovely A2 cars. Even so i recon i need to get out more too!

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 05:34 PM   #8
A80QAAH
Grown up member

Would anyone happen to have a picture of what this additional rear door seal looks like? I'm intrigued to know what it's function is and whether it offers much of an improvement.
Old 19-11-17, 11:23 PM   #9
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Will take a photo of the 90 if i can tomorrow so you can see. It probably doesnt serve much purpose other than eliminate a bit of road noise maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik

I was up in Birminghams Dunlop fort last night for a meal drink get together, good turnout with 34 people and lots of lovely A2 cars. Even so i recon i need to get out more too!

Sounds good, bet that was a sight to behold, all those A2s!

Last edited by Mellis46; 19-11-17 at 11:26 PM.
Old 20-11-17, 09:57 AM   #10
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Sounds good, bet that was a sight to behold, all those A2s!

It was Mark as was the lamb pathia and beers.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote