Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Competition Cars (FIA/MSA licenced cars) » a 'Boys own' story!

Old 22-11-10, 05:36 PM   #21
Tim C
Classic Audi Club Member

Although I am not a memeber of the dark side I have come across your build thread on my visits.
Great to see a good recap on such a fantastic quality build.

As ever, can't wait to see it in action!
A4 2.0T quattro s-line special edition - wife's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37654549@N06/sets/
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 05:52 PM   #22
LYT4X
Younger than JJ !
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGYIN View Post
could you post more details about Her specs?
Here goes:

Shell
Fully seam welded ur shell and T45 Custom Cages FIA cage with additional strengthening bars.
Full length chassis rails following contours of pressed steel floorpan
Modified tunnel to recess 3" exhaust
LHD with works quick-rack
Chassis mounted rear diff and gearbox
Premier 120ltr FIA bag tank
Proflex 3-way suspension
Kevlar wings, kevlar/carbon bonnet, kevlar 1-piece front & rear valance/bumper, kevlar doors (may not be fitted), kevlar sump-guard & diff guard, kevlar tailgate & spoiler, carbon grille
Works front crossmembers
Floor mounted pedal box with remote brake bias adjustment
Quick release steering wheel boss
Recaro FIA Pole Position Seats
Harnesses TBA
VDO guages
FEV ADS Plumbed-in Extinguisher
6 Cibie Oscars

Engine/drivetrain
ABY 20v Engine
JE forged pistons/conrods/ARP bolts
Lightened/balanced crank & flywheel
Wagner reversed inlet manifold
Wagner RS2 Evo Exhaust manifold
Twin Bosch 044 fuel pumps
GEMS ECU
Custom made single box exhaust
RS Cosworth (small) T3 turbo
Dry sump (Aelred) c/w rear oil cololer
AP competition clutch
Works cross-braced wishbones c/w tie-bars & Audi Sport sliders
AP competition 4-pot brakes all round
RS2 6-sp gearbox
S2 rear Diff
Various Fuchs/Ronal wheels

I think that just about covers it, but I'm sure there are bits I've forgotten.........
Old 17-01-12, 09:20 PM   #23
LYT4X
Younger than JJ !
Classic Audi Club Member

I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted on this thread! There is still much to do with a build which is now three years in. However, there has been a lot of unseen work done on the car (including running down blind alleyways and then coming back to the drawing board with all the expense that involves). One of the most difficult decisions has been to junk the Audi Sport tubular wishbones with aluminium sliders and go in favour of the 034 Motorsport items instead.

The difficulty has only been a financial one because the six Audi units were not cheap. However, they could be finding their way onto a couple of road cars instead. This could be a blessing in disguise with the RR quattro as the OEM front ball-joints are NLA. So, the new 034 wishbones are a direct fit and have the benefit of utilising the standard S2 balljoints. Above and beyond this, they have additional adjustment for castor/camber which the Audi units didn’t.

Further 034 Motorsports additions have been the rear tie rods with spherical bearings, which add a bit of sexiness to the unpainted rear under the car and the engine, gearbox and diff mounts from the same source.

A new FIA requirement is that oil lines which run through the inside of car are contained within a conduit. These has now been fabricated from the engine bay dry sump to the oil tank in the boot.

One of the biggest departures we are planning from the standard Audi engine layout is the water radiator which is going directly in front of the engine rather than to the side. Heat was always a problem with these engines and getting enough airflow to the radiator was even known to get Audi into trouble on rallies when they tried to have a secret flap in the headlamp void which opened up to let more in. So, our intention is to run a front mounted intercooler with a water radiator directly behind it (as per the Lancia Delta). This beautiful item has now been made for us and it looks like it will do the business!

Making this fit has been a concern as there isn’t a lot of space at the bottom of the engine. Therefore, we are using an AAN crank pulley which is the shortest harmonic damper that Audi made for the I5 engine. This gives us significantly more room than the standard ABY crank pulley did.

Inside the car there has been much work done to find out where everything is going to go. A bit of cardboard goes a long way to developing the dashboard.

Meanwhile, the exhaust has been pushed upwards as far as possible to get it away from the gravel that will be beneath it. We already have the 4” diameter exhaust tunnel added to the side of the transmission tunnel and now the bulkhead has been cut away to allow the down-pipe to enjoy more intrinsic protection rather than hanging down too far.

At the back of the car, the fuel tank has been installed and the routing for the swirl pot, fuel pumps and filters is now being finalised along with the spare wheel post.

The front of the car is now being sorted and the sump guard fitting is being looked at. The (two) sets of Matter front tubes which were bought are being ‘junked’ now too as we look at building our own frontal cross-members out of T45 rather than the aluminium used in the Matter units.

Finally, I’ve been busy playing with the Saxo in the past year and have made consistent improvements in results with a fairly basic rally car. After completing four tarmac stages I’ve recently secured my first ‘Top 20’ finish and last summer I won the highest improvement in seeding award on the Speyside stages which was my first gravel event in the forest. Taking 1.5 minutes out of a Subaru 2ltr turbo 4x4 across 40 miles of forest stages with a basic 1.6ltr 2wd Saxo gives me a bit of hope for the future in a quattro!

Old 17-01-12, 09:27 PM   #24
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Whoa thats coming on nicely John!

Envious of your intake manifold!
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 09:44 PM   #25
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Very nice John, good to see that your still having fun with your Sexso

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 09:51 PM   #26
LYT4X
Younger than JJ !
Classic Audi Club Member

Wouldn't mind some sexo fun with the legs in your signature!
Old 17-01-12, 10:01 PM   #27
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thats because I use Nikon John

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 10:32 PM   #28
saladdodger
Classic Audi Club Member

This is fantastic, long old project - much respect to you Sir

Cant wait to see it finished
saladdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 07:53 AM   #29
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYT4X View Post
I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted on this thread! There is still much to do with a build which is now three years in. However, there has been a lot of unseen work done on the car (including running down blind alleyways and then coming back to the drawing board with all the expense that involves). One of the most difficult decisions has been to junk the Audi Sport tubular wishbones with aluminium sliders and go in favour of the 034 Motorsport items instead.

The difficulty has only been a financial one because the six Audi units were not cheap. However, they could be finding their way onto a couple of road cars instead. This could be a blessing in disguise with the RR quattro as the OEM front ball-joints are NLA. So, the new 034 wishbones are a direct fit and have the benefit of utilising the standard S2 balljoints. Above and beyond this, they have additional adjustment for castor/camber which the Audi units didn’t.

What kind of power and punishment are you putting through those wishbone rod ends? We use these at work and they can bend /snap/deteriorate far too easily. I'd be taking the present ones off, cutting off and welding in a new threaded section and going up 2 sizes on the rod ends for safety as they look far too small plus I'd add a stainless sleeve/tube on the mounting bolts on the subframe for extra strength with some form of boot to keep the crud out of the joint too.....

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-12, 08:41 AM   #30
LYT4X
Younger than JJ !
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
We use these at work and they can bend /snap/deteriorate far too easily.
Hmmmm. I wonder what you do for work to be using these particular motorsport arms? If you mean that you use a product which just happens to look like the particular joint in question, then you must know that there are many different grades of raw material and manufacturing processes to differentiate one product from another. After all, I have a couple of fake Rolex watches which were bought just off the beach in Tennerife and I can therefore denounce them all (including real ones) as being crap........ NOT!

You can find out more about these control arms on the 034 site:

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...s-p-21985.html

Everybody who has seen them has commented positively and every 034 customer I know of has been seriously impressed with them. However, if you happen to be a senior engineer for M-Sport in their design department then please feel free to advise further.