Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » WR engine Ur quattro odd noise

Old 05-06-23, 09:58 AM   #1
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Default WR engine Ur quattro odd noise

Hi guys, I have an odd bearing whine noise, but I know it is not bearing, please read on, when the engine is hot this odd whining noise comes and go's, I can get the noise to vanish when I open the oil filler cap slightly, now as this engine is a vacuumed sealed engine anything you do to let normal air pressure into the crankcase will have an adverse affect on the air flow metering flap and close it a little, even taking the dipstick out will make the engine run poorly, so back to the noise, it is coming from the rear of the engine below the distributor area, fitted new seal to distributor, in my mind this is a vacuum sealing problem and could this be the rear oil crankshaft seal or the alloy housing seal to the block on the rear of the engine, I do not have any oil leaks at the rear of the engine, as you are aware the box has to come off to get to this seal and is a 2 day job, do you guys have any thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 09:01 PM   #2
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Colin

I've heard the rear crank seals can make a noise if leaking vacuum/pressure but I would have expected an associated leak.

Following with interest as I have something similar but mine seems to be from the top of the engine. I dk have an oil leak at the rear though

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 09:50 PM   #3
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

For us, the only “odd” bearing noise we had in our WR was indeed a shagged bearing… At 140k miles and at circa 30-years. Fortunately we diagnosed it before we pushed bearing material scour through the engine, which mitigated a fair degree of the damage internally, but it was a full rebuild with 30throu rebore, new pistons, and all reciprocating consumables.

Honestly, if it’s an un-rebuilt original engine (and many are, amazing), I’d utterly preserve what you’ve got. Get it assessed properly, because you really don’t want a chewed up crank or block because that potentially buggers up matching numbers etc.
Old 06-06-23, 08:52 AM   #4
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks guys, looks like a gearbox removal to have a look.
Old 06-06-23, 10:16 PM   #5
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Good luck with it Colin, I did my 80q clutch when I was much younger so I understand what lies ahead.

I ran mine out this evening for the hell of it.
My noise is road speed related & not engine speed related so it looks like I have a different issue, I sincerely hope it's not diff or gearbox.

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-23, 10:40 AM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I had the high pitched, but fairly low volume screech, and it was the rear crank seal.
As the clutch was the original at the time, I managed to get a fixed price (audi dealership, Pete Chimes was instrumental in getting this) deal, doing the clutch, release bearing, rear crank seal, and the gearbox input seal all at the same time.

The leak can actually be quite benign initially, resulting in slight, nearly negligible tweaking of the mixture to compensate. Over time, people (self, for one) often don’t realise that the engine is running way off ideal, yet it can still meet the emissions at MOT with ease, until you eventually realise that there is something off.

But few people also go to the lengths of isolating the entire breather system in diagnosis, so living with it is often the way.
Old 08-06-23, 05:37 PM   #7
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks guys for all your help, will up date as things happen.